+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old eating dinner

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on eating habits of your 3 year old.
    DS is a great eater, will eat an ok breakfast pretty good lunch (normally sandwich and fruit) and a little bit of afternoon tea. But lately been downright refusing dinner. I cook him something like nuggets or fish and he will inhale it, anything else he won't eat and forget veggies. Is this a normal phase they go through? Any insights would be great. 😊😊 tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 year old is a very fussy eater, but he always finds dinner the easiest to refuse. So I load him up with fruit and veg during the day (as best I can, he barely eats any), and then just go with the flow at dinner because I cannot be bothered fighting with him anymore. He's been like this since he was 2. I've tried refusing to give him anything after 12pm to see if he got really hungry and therefore would eat his dinner and it never worked so I gave up. Good luck with it, as I said im so over the whole thing I've given up completely in the hopes that one day he'll decide he wants to start eating dinner.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

MrsSparkle  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find my nearly 3 year olds get less hungry as the day goes on. They eat an enormous breakfast compared to tea. Mine rarely eat between meals though and this helps with getting them to eat proper meals at mealtimes. If i were in your position I'd definitely try cutting out afternoon tea though and see if a bit of hunger helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

MrsSparkle  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah my 3yo doesn't eat dinner usually.
    Actually, she doesn't eat anything, at anytime really but dinner is easily the worst meal.

Meh, if it bother her it doesn't bother me. I used to offer a cup of milk before bed but she began using that as a delaying tactic for bed so we don't now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MrsSparkle  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5 year old is super fussy too! 3-4 weetbix for brekky, simple peanut butter and vegemite sandwich for lunch, maybe some fruit, but then dinner is a pain! His repertoire is very limited - pasta or sausages and sweet potato chips. Sometimes steamed beans and broccoli. Occasionally pumpkin soup and garlic bread. So much food is wasted though 😩 I'm sure if he'd try something new he'd like it. But he flatly refused to try. Frustrating! Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

MrsSparkle  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, my 3 yr old is the same. Sometimes she's just too tired to concentrate on eating a full dinner. I up the protein for brekky and lunch, we do eggs, fish, chicken, leftover sausage for brekky etc for brekky and something like bolognaise or stir fry for lunch. Then, it doesn't matter so much if she only munches on salad or fruit for dinner, or toast. Alot of kids have alot of gluten for brekky and lunch, when it might be an idea to slot in protein and veg then.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-05-2016),MrsSparkle  (31-05-2016)