+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Gall Stones

Has anyone been diagnosed with gallstones? Did they cause symptoms and what was the treatment?
    It's one of many things my doctor is testing for at the moment and would explain some pains I've been getting for a while now. I had ultrasound this morning and I believe there was stones present. Waiting for results to get back to doctor so probably won't see him til the end of the week. I could be wrong but it looked pretty clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I just recently got diagnosed. I occasionally get horrible stomach pains because of it. The pain is sort of in the upper middle part of my abdomen and radiates through to my back. Gradually increases in intensity then gradually subsides over a few hours. I can't figure out triggers though, sometimes I'll eat something and be fine, other days I can eat the same thing and get the pain. I usually get my attacks in the middle of the night too. I've been told that treatment is to get the gallbladder removed. Not particularly looking forward to that part! I'm waiting for an appointment with a surgeon now so don't know much more but I posted a thread about it a couple weeks ago and a few ladies very kindly shared their experiences of having theirs removed.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sounds like the same pains I get. I've been getting them on and off for years but just let it go because I have enough issue with my back pains etc. the pain starts at the top of my stomach then ends up feeling like a knife between my shoulder blades.
    I can't pinpoint any triggers either but that's possibly because I've just not paid attention to it. If/when it happens again I will make note of what I ate etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was getting them for about 6 months and 2 weeks of paleo the pain is gone. Might be worth a shot.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely need to get my diet back on track. I've looked at paleo before but worry how my kids will go. Should give it a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had them. It was like I had swallowed razor blades and my body was trying to digest them. No food triggers here it was just random.

I had my gall bladder out and they stuffed it up and now my pancreas is sewn to my bowel. But you know what? I'm ok now and it only sucked for a few months

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it seems surgery is just what happens? Because they are likely to reoccur?
    What was the surgery and recovery like?
    Sorry to hear you had issues with it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Two weeks recovery. Hard for a few days, you will definitely need help. But the second week you just need a lot of rest but you can at least pull up your own undies.

From my understanding removing the stones is a big operation too and they can reoccur, so it's better to take the whole thing as it's easier. I know one person who had the stones removed and they reoccurred. They had the gall bladder out the second time.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gall Stones

Hmm ok so would need DF to get time off work (he's FIFO).

Lol I don't even know for sure if it is them but it makes sense and I like to be prepared haha.

Talking to my mum last night and it seems to run in the family. My maternal grandmother and both female cousins on that side have all had theirs removed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nurse and former gall stone sufferer here. Mainly food triggers are fatty - can be as little as a bit of cheese to trigger it.
    Usual surgical process is keyhole surgery called a laproscopic cholecystectomy, where they remove the entire gall bladder.

During the procedure they also do an xray to make sure they have removed all of the stones. Called an operative cholangiogram.

Occasionally people may have pain come again if there was any 'sludge' sitting in the start of the bile duct. Sludge is very fine stones like sand that can be hard to pick up on xray. So if people get pain again another operation might be necessary.

Hospital time may be as little as overnight, or up to a couple of days depending on how you go with it all.

Recovery time for me was 2 weeks. 1st 2 days were pretty painful - so had some good pain relief going on. By end of first week feeling pretty ok, just would hurt if i laughed or moved too quick. Probably could have gone b ack to work at 10 days, but took doctors advice to do full 2 weeks.

Side effects of procedure are a bit average, until you work your diet out. Gall bladder is responsible for breaking down fats that you eat. Without it, all the fat you eat moves very quickly through your intestines - acting like a libricant - and can cause severe and sudden diarrhoea after eating fat. Can be as simple as drinking a glass of milk. Overtime you learn what to eat and what not to eat - and your body learns how to process fats in other ways - now i can eat anything without any issues.

Good luck
    Last edited by Kazzy36; 31-05-2016 at 15:28.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazzy36 For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (31-05-2016),Mod-Myztik  (31-05-2016)