help | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default help

hey all, my boy is nearly 17 months old and at 13 months he finally started sleeping through 12hrs each night.. a month ago he got a bad chest cold, ear infection and teething and hasn't been sleeping through since. Now he wakes a few hrs later after I've put him down for the night and just whinges. Now I've never left him to go for too long as I'm just that tired I give him a bottle and go back to sleep. I think now he does that out of habit. Would you think I should just leave him whinge and maybe he will put himself back to sleep? I was told from a few friends today to just let him put himself back to sleep.. Last night I left him whinge for about 20 mins but it got louder and louder. My partner got up to feed him even tho I told him not to at 11pm, then we didn't hear from him until nearly 7am(definitely not complaining about last night) goes down anywhere between 6pm -7pm. most other nights latley it's been up to 4 wake ups a night. Any thoughts!! I tried so hard for him to sleep through the night and it's all gone.. He didn't eat much for dinner last night so I was expecting him to wake. but other nights he eats plenty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think at that age they are probably not waking from hunger. That said, there is no harm in giving a bottle of that helps him get back to sleep. If you are concerned about bad sleeping waking habits etc, and have ruled out other causes (teething common at that age) there are lots of things u can try. Some kids won't self settle so might need some help/reassurance rather than leaving them to their own devices.

What other techniques have u tried? Does he have a comforter etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    he has a dummy and a snuggy. he was sleeping 12 hrs each night for a month on and off.. He's had a bad viral infection for the past week. so I'm going to have to wait it out.. just when you think they are getting better they get sick grrrrr I'm just hoping it's not going to cause bad night habbits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboyb View Post
    he has a dummy and a snuggy. he was sleeping 12 hrs each night for a month on and off.. He's had a bad viral infection for the past week. so I'm going to have to wait it out.. just when you think they are getting better they get sick grrrrr I'm just hoping it's not going to cause bad night habbits
    It sucks when they go from sleeping through to waking again, try not to worry though. If he has done it before he will do it again. My DS1 was sick every 2 weeks from about 12-18 months of age and it's very tiring. He went back to sleeping through once he was better (with the exception of a few teething episodes). Just do what you have to in the meantime, I think it's our job as mummies to give them what they need/want while they're not well. You're not spoiling him by giving him a bottle especially if he isn't well.