+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Second labour - spontaneously went into labour at 40+6w. From the first 'I wonder if this is a contraction?' to delivery was 3.2hrs. I'm glad we left home when we did. I was extremely shaky after this delivery as I think I was in a bit of shock as to how fast everything happened. Recovery was great and I was up and about really fast.
    I shook through my whole 2nd labour - and aftet. Mix of shock and intense contractions I think.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First birth versus second birth

Something else to be aware of with 2nd and subsequent births is the afterbirth pains.

About 8 or so hours post birth I started feeling "funny"- shaky, nauseous, hot/cold etc, I thought I was having a panic attack but the nurse said it was afterbirth pains and gave me a heat pack and panadeine forte which helped immensely. Was not what I expected at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Something else to be aware of with 2nd and subsequent births is the afterbirth pains.

About 8 or so hours post birth I started feeling "funny"- shaky, nauseous, hot/cold etc, I thought I was having a panic attack but the nurse said it was afterbirth pains and gave me a heat pack and panadeine forte which helped immensely. Was not what I expected at all.

Agree! They get worse with each subsequent birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2nd labour was harder and lasted the same time as the first but I was induced with both and induced a few days earlier with #2, which I think made it as hard as it was. The actual birthing of baby was much easier 2nd time around. Took all of 2 minutes .. About 30 mins with first, but again, that could be because of different birthing position (first birth was lying down, 2nd birth was standing/squatting). Also didn't need an episiotomy 2nd time around but I tore a bit with 2nd. Hoping to avoid that this time with a water birth.

Anyhoo, I remember obsessing about the faster delivery/labour in the months leading up to having my 2nd so I absolutely understand why you want to prepare yourself, but honestly, just go with the flow. What will be will be. You will definitely be more relaxed this time around and I think that helps a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First labour- first contractions were felt at about 9:30pm, not very painful but there. By late the next day they were getting fairly painful so we went to the hospital, I was 2cm and chose to go home. Went back to hospital the next night, still 2cms. Stayed and laboured there all night, about 4am I was 2-3 cms. Had pethidine and gas, waters broken and drip inserted at about 6am when I was 4cms. DD was born at 9:30 (40+10) after about half an hour of pushing, 2nd degree tearing and lots of stitches. Labour was posterior but turned anterior for birth.

Second labour - woke up 39+4 weeks and noticed contractions soon after getting up. Paid attention at about 11am and noticed that they were very regular 7 minutes apart but not very painful. Walked a few times over the day and had my show, contractions stayed regular but not very painful. About 7:30pm the pain started to pick up, bounced on my fitball for a while and just generally tried to relax through them concentrating on not flexing my toes. Tried to go to bed at about 10:30pm, laid down through one contraction and knew it wasn't going to happen. Get to the hospital at about 11pm and am 6cm, nauseous and things are moving quickly. Jumped in the shower for a bit before I start to get agitated and get out. 9cms at midnight but stay 9-10 with DS's head high for hours from here. The midwife doesn't want to break my waters until the doctor gets there but eventually agrees to at about 3:15. DS immediately drops and pushing starts, it doesn't take long to get his head out but then have shoulder dystocia until some awesomely competent midwives flood the room and free DS. The doctor arrives soon after he is born, minimal tearing this time and only because of the SD. Another posterior labour but anterior birth.