+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First birth versus second birth

My labours were
    #1 - 12 hours (induced). Including over an hour of pushing because he came arm first.
    #2 - 5 hours (induced).
    #3 - 3.5 hours active labour (spontaneous).
    #4 - 4.5 hours (induced).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very different. 2nd time was easier & much faster.

DD1: 25hrs all up. 1am woke with tightenings. Was only 2cms by lunchtime, had a s&s and was sent home. Went into active labour at dinnertime & had some bleeding. Into hospital & they wanted to have continuous monitoring. ARM done so they could & I was then stuck on the bed. Had lots of gas. Pushed for ages (had to have been over an hour) but DD1 was stuck. Ended up with an episiotomy & forceps delivery at 1.47am. PPH of about 1/2 a litre of blood. Felt like I'd been through the wringer...

DD2: 7hrs all up. Woke at 3.30am with tightenings. They continously got stronger & closer & more painful. Got to hospital at 9am & was already 8cms. Midwife checked DD2s heartbeat every so often, waters popped after transition when I was just starting to push. 17mins of pushing & DD2 arrived at 10.30ish. Had a 2nd degree tear but felt really great.

I think that staying upright & mobile helped immeasurably. Gravity helps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were similar but different.

DD1 - SPROM but active labour didn't start until about 16 hours later. It lasted 4.5 hours, including just over an hour of pushing.

DD2 - active labour went for 4 hours including half an hour of pushing after ARM, but probably would have been much quicker if my waters had broken on their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First birth was 18 hours active labour. Babe was is a very awkward posterior asynclitic position. It caused terrible cervix pain and a strong urge to push way before i was fully dialated. Once he turned and I was fully I pushed him out in 11 minutes (at home on land). It was hard work but afterwards I felt so empowered. Like I could do anything!

Second was 4 hours. Everything progressed as the textbook says it should. Much more typical contraction pains in my tummy. Pushed her out at home in the birth pool in 9 minutes.

During my second pregnancy I felt like my babe was in an awkward position like my first was. I did not want another 18 hr labour so I did twice weekly chiro. It seemed to help a lot and the labour was certainly easier but I suppose you never really know it that's because of what you do to prep or if it's just luck and a body that knows what it's doing second time around. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine could not have been more different if I tried.
    With dd I turned up to the birth centre for a 'check' to see what the cramping was about (not uncomfortable but I was just shy of edd). I was 7cm and she was born with no pain relief at all 2ish hrs later in the bath.

Ds on the other hand decided to be a cheeky footling breech. He was a big bub so was a planned cs. Absolute chalk & cheese😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2 very different labours for me. First was spontaneous and very long, first contraction to baby out was well over 30hrs, half of that was really intense back-to-back contractions that completely exhausted me. Midwives and OB couldn't believe how slowly I was progressing with such strong contractions. Had an epidural after enduring these awful contractions for 12hrs and then I finally started dilating. Bub started struggling and when my water finally broke it had meconium in it. Ended up with a forceps delivery as the OB was worried about baby. Followed it up about 12hrs later with a gall bladder attack which was almost as bad as labour. All in all was a grueling experience!

Second was induced, took a while for the induction to work (almost 12hrs of 'fake' contractions from the drip that did nothing to dilate the cervix, thankfully I had an early epi so just hung out and watched TV all day!) but once real labour kicked off bub was out in about 2.5hrs. It was a really calm, relatively easy delivery and I felt amazing afterwards.

Good luck with the birth, hopefully it goes really well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second labour was definitely easier.

First time I was woken at 3am by a contraction. Bub was born at 5pm. He was posterior, I had an epidural and vacuum extraction.

Second labour I had a fair bit of pre labour so it was hard to say when I actually felt my first contraction. From the time I admitted to myself I was actually in labour to baby being born was just over an hour. No time for drugs as we barely made it to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First birth versus second birth

First I was induced (41+1weeks). After catheter was removed and waters broken (plus cyntocin) my labour was 4.5hrs - DS was posterior but turned during labor. After he was born the placenta didn't come out so I needed to go to surgery to have it manually removed. Only issue was a billion other more critical cases kept occurring and it took 6hrs to get into surgery. I felt it took ages to recover from the experience in terms of exhaustion etc.

Second labour - spontaneously went into labour at 40+6w. From the first 'I wonder if this is a contraction?' to delivery was 3.2hrs. I'm glad we left home when we did. I was extremely shaky after this delivery as I think I was in a bit of shock as to how fast everything happened. Recovery was great and I was up and about really fast.

ETA: DD was posterior as well and turned during labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first birth was 0-10cm in under 2 hours (gave the midwives a hell of a shock, luckily i was already at the hospital when I went into labour).

Me second was 8 days of early labour, on and off, 0-5cm, then nothing for a day, then 5-10 in 2 hours (with a difficult presentation).

Every birth is different but on average each subsequent birth is faster and easier.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Completely different labours but both were 10 hours in total.