+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first was 6 hours and my second was 3. They told me with my third as soon as i feel a contraction to call them! My 3rd they honestly don't know how long i was in labour for! I went in to get some sleeping tablets as i couldnt sleep and they did an internal and i was about 8 and a half centimeters dilated! they broke my waters and about 10 minutes later i had a baby in my arms! 4th baby i was induced and had her in about an hour from breaking of waters to baby in my arms!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My labours were quicker each time - each one less than 1/2 the time of the one before. First was 3hrs, second was 1hr 15min, third was 30 mins. But each one was more and more intense,becausr my body had to do the same amount of work in a lot less time and fewer contractions. I think we figured out with the third I was dilating around 1.5-2cm per contraction. I shudder to think what a 4th would bring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also 1000 hours with DF1. Wed am - Fri evening.
    DD2 waters broke (a leak not a gush).
    Admitted purely because bub had changed sides since OB appt that morning and they were worries about cord prolapse. Had minor contractions from 11pm (small one ever half hour). 4am contractions started. 5:30am Told i was in prelabour and to walk up to delivery.... Ah i was in transition. Started involuntarily pushing at 6am. Sat on her head until my epi arrived. Gave it 15 minutes to take and pushed her out in one contraction and 3 pushes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was my hardest by far but I think contributing factors to that were that he was induced, posterior the whole way through labour and delivery and he was large (10 lbs 3oz with 38.5cm hc). Labour was 13 hours and contractions were back to back the entire time.

#2 - a breeze in comparison. 6.5 hr labour. I got an epidural with her (4hrs in) as I had increased risk of shoulder distocia.

#3 - labour was 2.5 hours and I pushed for 9 mins. Was a breeze! Was home when he was 4 hours old. He was larger than my first but wasn't posterior so was sooo much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my labours were easy in the sense that they were quick with no real complications

1st birth - 4 hours
    2nd birth - 45 mins
    3rd birth - 2.5 hours

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First birth versus second birth

My two labours were chalk and cheese.

1st labour went for hours and hours, horrific, painful, needed every drug and epidural available lol. Don't really remember much apart from it was just AWFUL. Afterwards I was just so exhausted from it all.

2nd pregnancy - I took raspberry leaf capsules in 3rd trimester- no regular contractions, no waters breaking - just whammo all of a sudden in full blown labor! so super quick - was 6cm dilated at first check but next contraction the head started coming out. dd2 was out in 20 minutes of arriving at hospital. Had a small amount of gas to help concentrate on the pushing. Intense but fantastic and felt a million bucks afterwards, showered and eating a sandwich less than 30 minutes later!

(So close to giving birth in the car was desperately fighting the urge to push! So shocked how quick it was!!!)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-05-2016 at 20:36.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was the easiest.

For DS1 my waters broke, just a leak, at 9am. Contractions starting immediately hard and fast. I was 6 cm by the time I got to the hospital at 11am. He was born just before 2 pm.

With DS2 I had PROM at 36+4. I kept leaking but labour didn't start so I was admitted to hospital and induced at 8am (DS2 was 37 weeks). I was strapped to all the machines and found it very difficult to stay active. By 1pm there was no dilation at all - so my waters were broken manually. At 8pm I was only 1cm dilated and his heart rate was dropping with contractions so I had an emergency c-sect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First was easier, the midwives kept saying I wasn't in labour (no internals) and I had no comparison so I was fine until my body started pushing and I freaked out! Second, I had a stretch and sweep at 39+2 as I was over being pregnant, that tipped me into labour but not as effective labour as last time. Eventually I got them to break my waters, then I had an hour of very painful contractions (no build up just whammo each contraction) then again my body started pushing and I freaked out. But no stitches second time around which was nice.
    Good luck, I enjoy reading your pregnancy diary and I'm looking forward to your birth story!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I'm curious: was your second birth shorter than your first? Easier? Better?

I was in labour for 1000 years (or 36 hours, labouring at hospital for 15) with DS and I'm wondering if it's likely it really will be shorter this time.

I know it depends on baby's position and other factors, but as a general rule..?
    1st labour was 33 hours with the works, 2nd labour was a pleasant easy 4hrs, 3rd birth was 9 hours but baby was in an awkward position and I hurt my back whilst pregnant so a few contributing factors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First was a double compound and I had a fast 3.5 hour first stage but then pushed for just under 3 hours. Birthed her with a big episiotomy.

Second birth was under an hour from first painful contraction to birthing her. I pushed her out slowly over 3 contractions to avoid tearing.

Both great experiences but second was crazy fast!