+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 6 year old recently had he's tonsils and adenoids removed. Most of the time post op he was in dymadon, and every day had half dose of a pill version of an anti inflammatory. When he's pain got a bit worse I would give him oxycodone. He was a superstar however and I only needed to give him the oxy maybe about 6 times over the whole 10 day post op period.
    He had an amazing recovery.
    Here is the List of meds we were given. Best of luck with your LO xx

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1464701702.632988.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Oxycodone also causes constipation. I am a pharmacy technician, I don't need education from you thanks!
    Yes, oxycodone causes constipation. However, in the clinical post-operative setting, codeine causes constipation in SIGNIFICANTLY more patients than oxycodone.

This thread has nothing to do with judgment. It's about correct pharmacology.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-06-2016),Happymum2  (01-06-2016),Stretched  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oxycodone also causes constipation. I am a pharmacy technician, I don't need education from you thanks!
    Codeine is much worse for constipation in my clinical and personal experience.

I think you are being a bit harsh, some good points have been made, especially that it's pretty unlikely a young child will become addicted when their ability to fraudulently get a script or buy a bit of oxy on the streets is non-existent.

Everyone here is just offering advice to the OP I'm not sure judging people on the medication they give their kids is helpful.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-06-2016),Happymum2  (01-06-2016),J37  (01-06-2016),LoveLivesHere  (01-06-2016),Stretched  (01-06-2016),Tamtam  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What pain relief did your child need after getting tonsillectomy?

I have my preferences due to my drug knowledge is all. I'm not being judgemental, I'm stating what I would /n't give to my child.
    I didn't mean to thank your post, I was trying to quote it.
    If you have never been in a situation like this how do you really know what you would do?? It is very easy to say I would/n't give that to my child but if they are in so much pain and nothing is helping, I find it very hard to believe that you (or anyone) wouldn't give them something stronger.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a couple of the people who have commented in this thread are actually a Doctor and nurse so actually have a lot of knowledge on this and have been extremely helpful with the information they have provided. You have come in, quoted somebody who has shared their experience and said that you would never give that to your child. It was rude, judgmental and to be honest not needed. If you had however given some knowledge (as you are in the industry as well) and explanations, much like @J37 I think your posts may have been received much better and actually appreciated.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 01-06-2016 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have my preferences due to my drug knowledge is all. I'm not being judgemental, I'm stating what I would /n't give to my child.
    Gosh I am guessing you've never had to face surgery with your kiddo/s and managing pain. It's not easy to manage pain in kids...especially little ones as its often a mix of not wanting to be poked and prodded too.
    when you make statements about 'never giving it to your kid' etc you are making a judgemental statement. And it can impact others when choosing how to help their child and make them frightened for no valid reason.
    My daughter has been on many pain relief protocols and she has not been addicted to anything because Dr's and pain team know what they're doing when they prescribe a protocol.

OP if the pain team offer stronger pain meds and Dr's are happy for you to use it please listen to the advice of Dr's over BH. 😊 there's really nothing worse than seeing your child upset and in pain and feeling helpless. And as we all know as adults. .panadol doesn't always hit the spot!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016),twinklify  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Tamtam. Trust me, I will be doing whatever the pain team tell me to do. Makes me teary just thinking of my kids in pain so I will be giving them what they need to make them feel better (on the pain team's advice of course).

Thanks again to everyone who have shared their experiences and offered very helpful advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    Thanks @Tamtam. Trust me, I will be doing whatever the pain team tell me to do. Makes me teary just thinking of my kids in pain so I will be giving them what they need to make them feel better (on the pain team's advice of course).

Thanks again to everyone who have shared their experiences and offered very helpful advice.
    You might find you don't need stronger stuff...but at least you know there are options. I have to say my DD bounced back after her tonsils/adenoids /grommets way better than I expected. The first night was hard (we were in PICU due to her heart condition) and I ended up lying in bed with her all night to calm her! But apart from that. .. she did pretty well.
    I hope it all goes smoothly.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016),Stretched  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's important they have good pain relief so they eat which stops the scab forming. It's even the scab comes off it hurts and they could bleed. So it's about more than stopping them hurting

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I didn't mean to thank your post, I was trying to quote it.
    If you have never been in a situation like this how do you really know what you would do?? It is very easy to say I would/n't give that to my child but if they are in so much pain and nothing is helping, I find it very hard to believe that you (or anyone) wouldn't give them something stronger.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a couple of the people who have commented in this thread are actually a Doctor and nurse so actually have a lot of knowledge on this and have been extremely helpful with the information they have provided. You have come in, quoted somebody who has shared their experience and said that you would never give that to your child. It was rude, judgmental and to be honest not needed. If you had however given some knowledge (as you are in the industry as well) and explanations, much like @J37 I think your posts may have been received much better and actually appreciated.
    Yep @Happymum2, I'm a doctor. Always happy to help with this sort of stuff

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (01-06-2016)