+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to reiterate what a PP said, "Pain-Stop" is simply "Panadol" plus codeine. It's essentially a "Panadeine" for kids.

So yes, it's paracetamol plus codeine. So you use it instead of Panadol, and not as well as.

Yes, the codeine can be a bit sedating, but the biggest problem with it is constipation.

Dymadon is the same as Panadol. They both contain paracetamol. I've found that some Mums say their child prefers the taste of Dymadon over Panadol. But Panadol now has an orange-flavoured suspension for kids, as well as the cherry-vanilla.

Have you tried the "Baby" Panadol drops? It's more concentrated, so if your children are vomiting due to the volume of Panadol liquid they are swallowing, this may help. "Baby Panadol" is 100mg per mL. The dose of Panadol (paracetamol) is 15mg per kg.

So, if your child is 20kg, they will need 300mg (20 x 15mg) per dose. So, this is only 3mL of the Baby Panadol.
    If you use the Kids Panadol, this is only 24mg per mL. So, if your child is 20kg, they will need 300mg per dose, which is 12.5mL.
    So, there is quite a big difference in the volume. This may make a difference to how your kids tolerate it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (30-05-2016),Happymum2  (30-05-2016),wobbleyhorse  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps. The risk of post-operative bleeding with Nurofen (ibuprofen) and other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories (NSAIDs) is a theoretical risk only.

Some Surgeons prefer to avoid it, others are happy for it to be prescribed as part of regular post-op pain relief.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks @J37. I haven't thought to use baby panadol, that might definitely be an option. We have a few weeks wait so will have a chat to our GP and will see what the surgeons/anaesthetist say at the hospital.

Thanks again everyone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to say I have plenty of friends whose kiddos had nurofen after tonsils.
    We aren't generally allowed it for blood thinning reasons.
    (Heart condition)... and the bleeding risk is usually only in the first few days and then agsin after scabs come off. I only know this because we had to stay in hospital due to DDs heart and risk of bleeding etc.

Discuss with your doctor's the best option. We've used painstop in the past. Plus DD was still on her sleep meds after the surgery (which sedate her a bit) but we listen and follow the Dr's advice.
    You may find you don't need much at all. But keep up pain relief the first part of recovery for sure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks @Tamtam. I will need to have a good chat to the medical staff beforehand regarding blood clots anyway as my DH ended up with bilateral pulmonary embolism (blood clots in his lungs) after getting a vasectomy in March so I'm sure we will come up with a good plan. Hopefully the recovery goes well (and quickly) but I am preparing myself for the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used nurofen oxy and panadol!! Lol no way are my kids being in pain after surgery

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    Thanks @Tamtam. I will need to have a good chat to the medical staff beforehand regarding blood clots anyway as my DH ended up with bilateral pulmonary embolism (blood clots in his lungs) after getting a vasectomy in March so I'm sure we will come up with a good plan. Hopefully the recovery goes well (and quickly) but I am preparing myself for the worst!
    In this case, you need to tell all this information to the Anaesthetist. It is the Anaesthetist who looks after post-operative pain management, post-op nausea and vomiting, and anti-coagulation issues which may arise before/during/after surgery (this includes the DVT and PE your poor hubby experienced). The Anaesthetist is the "man/woman", so to speak!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS (3) got his tonsils and adenoids removed in late feb this year.

The ENT recommended just using panadol but when i had a chat with the anaesthesiologist she said go ahead & use pain stop and actually wrote me a script for it so i wouldnt have an issue at the chemist.

She also said it was fine to use nurofen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    My GP recommended it despite this warning on the bottle. The warning is if tonsils are removed due to sleep apnoea. I think because it's also a mild sedative. I'm not sure where it says about an increased bleeding risk? I actually called to clarify after we were prescribed it and decided I was happy to give it. So I guess it's up to you, OP. Worked a treat for my DS as he was really struggling and panadol alone was not enough and he could no longer have the oxycodone. Had no side effects to either of them. It totally depends on the child I think.😀
    Pain stop contains paracetamol and codeine, neither of which cause bleeding so not sure re the increased bleeding risk warning. I would prefer to use this if plain paracetamol wasn't enough than give my child oxycodone which is a highly addictive narcotic, I don't care how small the dose may be or how short a term it is used for. would not give it to my 5yr old!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marieshelly View Post
    My DS loves toys, so I got him some form crazysales and he forget all the pain!
    Haha, I did this too! I got her a Zhu Zhu pet - she'd never had one before and was chasing it all over the children's ward the next day! I was surprised how little pain she was in as she's a complete wimp!