+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Pain Stop is no longer recommended after a tonsillectomy due to the high risk of bleeding. You will need to scroll down but it says
    should not be given to children under 6 years of age after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids to treat sleep apnoea.
    http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/pain...reliever-syrup

Our ENT was very much against it. We used Panadol only.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oxycodone for us.
    I insisted on having it as a backup. My DD can't have nurofen anyway due to her heart condition.
    So we used panadol... and oxycodone if necessary. Pain will peak on days 4-5 when scabs form on the open wound. And again around day 12ish when the scabs fall off.
    If your kiddos can eat regular food that helps even more with healing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had pain stop at the ready but DD (4 at the time) didn't need it. She woke in heaps of pain so they pumped her full of Peth initially, but after a sleep she only needed panadol.

Try Dymadon paracetamol. It has the same consistency as Nurofen and my kids much prefer it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You said every form of panadol did you mean every form of paracetamol? My girls hate panadol but like dymadon and the chemists own versions. The nurse will come round with it in hospital, maybe they will take it from him/her? Then they might get used to it?

We were prescribed oxy but never used it, the paracetamol was enough. You need the pain killers so they can eat while helps them heal. Otherwise a scab forms.

I stocked up on foods they loved. Didn't worry about nutrition. Anything to get them eating. My DD got a happy meal with a thick shake (unheard of the get both ) and still talks about it to this day 😄😄.

I'm with your hubby. I would make the drive home. You want your own bed when you're sick. There's also a window when the hospital drugs are still in your system. My DD shared my bed for a few nights. She recovered sooo well and quickly, I think because she's an eater.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, sorry I should have said paracetamol. Thanks for everyone's advice, fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    Both my ds (5) and dd (3.5) are getting their tonsils out in June (both on the same day). I'm a little bit concerned because our surgeon has said that he will only prescribe panadol as pain relief but both my children vomit straight after taking it (I have tried every brand/flavour). I explained this to the surgeon and he said we may need to look into suppositories (eek!). Apparently nurofen is a no go (due to blood clots needing to form) but I know that my kids respond really well to it and it's the only thing that helps when they have tonsillitis.

Just wanting to know what your child needed in the way of pain relief? Any other tips would be great too?

TIA
    So have you tried Dymadon? It's much the consistency of nurofen so if your kids can tolerate nurofen they should be able to tolerate dymadon.
    Pain stop has codeine and paracetamol in it but is the consistency of panadol brand so may not be suitable if your kids don't like panadol.
    I would avoid being prescribed oxycodone and unfortunately nurofen won't be allowed.

My ds3 master 5yr old is having his tonsils and adenoids removed in August.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    Pain Stop is no longer recommended after a tonsillectomy due to the high risk of bleeding. You will need to scroll down but it says

http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/pain...reliever-syrup

Our ENT was very much against it. We used Panadol only.
    My GP recommended it despite this warning on the bottle. The warning is if tonsils are removed due to sleep apnoea. I think because it's also a mild sedative. I'm not sure where it says about an increased bleeding risk? I actually called to clarify after we were prescribed it and decided I was happy to give it. So I guess it's up to you, OP. Worked a treat for my DS as he was really struggling and panadol alone was not enough and he could no longer have the oxycodone. Had no side effects to either of them. It totally depends on the child I think.😀
    Last edited by Bond Girl; 29-05-2016 at 21:55.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (30-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's Panadol suppositories, otherwise have u texted Panadol in juice? My ds loves it in juice....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    There's Panadol suppositories, otherwise have u texted Panadol in juice? My ds loves it in juice....
    I haven't tried panadol in juice but have tried dymadon in juice, no go unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had his tonsils and adenoids out last year and his Dr sent us home with Panadol every 6hrs and nurofen every 8hrs round the clock for 2 weeks. We had no issues with bleeding.