+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What pain relief did your child need after getting tonsillectomy?

Both my ds (5) and dd (3.5) are getting their tonsils out in June (both on the same day). I'm a little bit concerned because our surgeon has said that he will only prescribe panadol as pain relief but both my children vomit straight after taking it (I have tried every brand/flavour). I explained this to the surgeon and he said we may need to look into suppositories (eek!). Apparently nurofen is a no go (due to blood clots needing to form) but I know that my kids respond really well to it and it's the only thing that helps when they have tonsillitis.

Just wanting to know what your child needed in the way of pain relief? Any other tips would be great too?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were sent home with oxycodone to use for a couple of days as well as panadol. After a couple of days (because it's addictive) we just used panadol but if your kids can't can't have it maybe Pain Stop? Does that contain paracetamol? or have your tried it before?
    We used night time pain stop after a few terrible nights on advice of the GP
    Good luck with having two kids having the surgery on the same day!! Wow I can't imagine that. Do you have other people to help with their recovery? Just because my son's was pretty rough.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Bond Girl. I'm think I will see our gp beforehand and have a chat to him about pain stop. They are booked in at Box Hill which is 3 hours away and will be staying overnight in hospital, thankfully it is the first day of school holidays so DH will be there too (he is a teacher) and the hospital have said we can both stay with the kids. We have family in Melbourne that we can stay with until the kids are feeling a little better for the drive home although DH thinks we should just come straight home afterwards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chat to the anaesthetist who is looking after them, they will likely be writing the scripts (that's how it works at the private hosp I work at) and are generally very open to what will work. I agree ibuprofen is best avoided due to clotting.

Otherwise suppositories are much worse than they sound, just use a glove and your little finger. It is very effective.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 3 of my 4 daughters tonsils out. I found night time pain stop to be the best thing for after surgery. This was recommended by the ENT for the first 2 and oxycodone for the last. We found the oxy to be too strong so used the pain stop for all 3. Perhaps try different types before the surgery, the last thing you need is them vomiting afterwards. Good luck with the surgery!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @mummymaybe and @baby4G, I will definitely look into pain stop and will have a good chat to the anaesthetist prior to the procedure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. Vomiting after you've had your tonsils out isn't great, it can dislodge clots or scabs and cause bleeding as well as really hurting.

I hope they recover quickly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The vomiting isn't an intolerance/allergy to paracetemol is it? I am of no help as I do not know. But suppositories (if needed) are small. And it is over quickly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not an allergy @twinklify (thankfully). They both used to take it fine, don't know what happened but I think it has something to do with the consistency of it. I can very occasionally get them to take it (followed very quickly by juice) but when they are really sick (usually with tonsillitis) it is impossible and if any does go in it gets brought back up very quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used painstop night time i think it was.

ps my two kids really don't like panadol either, they struggle to take it. I prefer nurofen

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SammiJane For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (29-05-2016)