+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby doesn't sleep

Hey everyone I'm exhausted!! Don't know what to do with my 5 month old. He refuses to sleep earlier than 9 pm then wakes up crying Ive tried to crying out method it hasn't really worked and all the dream feed has done is made him get up now at 11 pm for the feed then almost every hour after that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hun need more information.
    Do you swaddle?
    On solids yet?
    Any medical issues?
    What are the timings for bubs day naps?
    How is bub put to bed?
    What is the room temp in bubs room and what bedding does bub have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In your opinion @VicPark, how long do you swaddle for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, usually at bed time we start at about 8. It involves a bath, a massage we dress him give him his bottle read a book cuddle for abit and then swaddle him and place him in his crib next to my bed. The room temp is about 24 degrees. He has a thick wooly blanket as bedding. He also has started solids he has 2 times a day baby rice and oats or a banana

Thanks
    Reviews
    His day time naps are usually at 11 2.30 and 5.30 for half an hour to an hour long

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mean like a dummie? Because he hates it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could he be overtired by the time you put him to bed? Have you tried earlier?

I know with DS it doesn't matter what time he gets up from his last nap, by 530-6 he is mental and ready for bed.

Also, I'm a huge advocate of sleep school after having gone. Are you in a metro area? Professional help was a godsend for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also recommend sleep school or something like night nannies.

I think you need to tweak your routine. A baby that age should go to sleep about 6:30pm. 7pm latest. Naps should be (assuming a 7am 6-7am wake up) 9:30am and depending on how long that nap was 1:30 or 2pm. Then bed time around 6:30pm. At 5 months, it would be normal to still have a night feed, but waking every hour is not. Sounds like it could be many things, but being overtired would definitely contribute to poor sleeping throughout the night.

I know how you feel because I went through the same thing when my son was 3-4 months. It was horrid! Hang in there and get help. I found night nannies and the no cry sleep solution were so great and can't recommend them enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll try put him to bed earlier tomorrow and see what happens I think I may be waiting til that overtired period but I'm not 100% sure.... Still learning over here otherwise I may have to look into sleep school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    In your opinion @VicPark, how long do you swaddle for?
    Until babies lose the startle reflex somewhere between 4-6 months. Or if bub starts rolling into the belly before then.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (31-05-2016)