+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default iPads at Child Care: am I overreacting?

Our child care (long day care care) has recently started using iPads during the day. I was initially unimpressed, but held back before commenting and am actually ok with how I've seen them used in the toddler room: for story telling and animal noises, rather than "tv". My daughter is 2.5 and although I'm a little disappointed that there are some under-two's in the room, I figure it's close enough.

HOWEVER this week I saw a carer holding a screen in front of a child in the nursery, about 6 months old, playing an episode of Peppa Pig. I find this completely unacceptable and plan to discuss with the centre director.
    Basically, I'm rethinking whether I'm comfortable sending our younger child to daycare now. I don't believe it's ok for kids under 2 to watch "tv" in any form, and have worked hard to stick to this at home.

Am I overreacting? Is this normal at other centres?
    At the very least I would have expected some consultation or discussion before the centre introduced these... But maybe I'm out of touch?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you're overreacting at all.
    I had similar concerns after visiting our new daycare. In our situation the Director was able to alleviate our concerns.
    It's definitely worth asking some questions I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just introduced iPads at our centre, however at no point would you see what you saw! Ours is for taking photos for our programming and end of year books, along with our daily diary for all rooms which has photos of the children and what they have done for the day.

In the 3-5yr old room it can be used for research- for example, we had a child talking about apes the other days and how he didn't believe they existed so we were able to inform him more about apes and also show him some video of apes. The educator found an appropriate video to show him.

I would be saying something to the director as I don't agree on tv in general being at a centre, let alone what you explained! You pay for them to be educated and cared for by a professional, not a iPad or tv screen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am a big believer in I pads and TV in terms of learning ....

However showing a 6 month old peppa pig ...... Wtf...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Without knowing the context of the situation, I think maybe you may be overreacting. She may have been showing them a snippet of the show bc their parent said they love Georgie. Even at 6 months my kids had 'favourite' shows (they would get all excited when they heard the music). If they were propped up, watching the ipad with no interaction or supervision I wouldn't be overly impressed. Given the carer was holding it, I suspect it wasn't for a long period.

I would speak to the Director.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't want any screen at hold in childcare. So I don't think your overreacting at all OP

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-05-2016),Barnaby  (31-05-2016),MINIRoo  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Given the age of the child and choice of content, I would say no you're not overacting. I believe iPads have their place in society and children will at some point learn to use all manner of modern technology.
    As stated above, they can have multiple positive uses at the centre. But using it to watch Tv shows (at any age), no I definitely don't agree. Relating it to the child's interest is absolutely bogus. If a child did have an interest in Peppa pig (which many do), and the parent had asked for this interest to be fostered, there are many other avenues the educator could pursue (start by researching pigs maybe).
    I would definitely speak to director and ask to see their policy on iPads or technology, that way you will know how they used within the service and what practices staff in the room should be following.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I was starting to wonder if I was on a different planet as nobody else at the centre seems to mind. I do tend to be a bit more strict on some things, but think I've done a good job of "letting go" of less important things!

I'll chat to the director this week, and try to frame it as a question about policy to start with as I'm genuinely curious what their thought process was and how they decide what content is ok.. I have a bit of time before I need to make drastic decisions about where to send baby, but might take the opportunity to get back on the wait list down the road just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just recently been in a similar situation. My dd is in a fairly new daycare after moving suburbs.
    This daycare have tvs in rooms and a few ipads.
    I have picked her up at a variety of different times and have observed tv watching.
    As a teacher, if we are watching tv during school hours with our class we must justify the educational goals. I guess daycare don't have the same rules but I'd still like to know why and how it's being used effectively.
    I emailed the director to ask. And it would seem it was being overused because the educator told me they're not allowed to use it as much anymore. I sense they may have got into trouble.
    Definitely talk to the director to get an idea of what the policy is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Our kindy class use iPads and a smart board for a language class and reading eggs. However they are 4-5