+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't replace things my kids lose after they insisted on taking it and keeping it safe. Eg my 4.5yr old takes toys to childcare all the time and occasionally loses it. He knows that if he loses something it isn't getting replaced. I don't want my kids to think that they can be careless with their things and not have consequences. Even though I could afford to replace the gift card, I wouldn't. Someone above said kids have enough life lessons but I think this is one of those ones that if you give in one time, your kid will not believe you mean it next time. Maybe this is tough parenting for some.

In this situation, I can see how my son would have insisted on wanting to hold it himself, and if he had lost it I would say he isn't getting another card. But I might tell him if he does "x" (some good behaviour) I will get him something else later, like play dough or a book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's something they need to learn. When I was a young teenager I lost about $100 in target vouchers never to be seen again. Since that day I am super careful to look after stuff like that. As an adult you don't get the stuff replaced. It's $30. It's not going to kill her. She'll learn from it and she'll learn to look after her stuff better. I wouldn't have even given her the $10 to be honest.

If it was I that lost it I would replace it but if it was my child's no waaaay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take equal blame and would find out if the store has a registration system for gift cards (some stores now take down details of the purchaser and gift card number and amount in case it gets lost), and would buy something.
    I'd take blame because she's a child...and they want responsibility, but maybe aren't ready for it yet. When my kids take their money to go shopping they want to carry it...so everytime we stop somewhere I ask them if they have it before we leave. If we took two I buses in, I would get them to put it in a bag that had a strap long across that they could wear it across their body (rather than slinging it over one shoulder), and would make sure they weren't taking it off. I can't help but think that if you had checked to make sure she had her bag before you left the bus stop then she'd still have it. She's lost the bag for good...I don't think a child needs to lose a bag and a gift card to learn a lesson. If my kids leave something behind, I will pick it up and not mention it, and wait for them to realise. They have learnt to take care of their stuff this way.
    Last edited by Full House; 29-05-2016 at 08:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up until then she did have her bag over her shoulder. We even stopped st Maccas before hand and she held her bag the whole time. She was careful.
    I didn't think to make sure she had her bag before we got into the bus as she was careful.
    I know it's partly my fault.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She got it from a friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would ring the local police station to see if the purse has been handed in, & also check with the bus company. If I found a purse lying around, I would hand it in & hope the person would retrieve it. In fact,there was a thread about this a while ago!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did this already.
    Nothing was handed in. Too many dishonest people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    We did this already.
    Nothing was handed in. Too many dishonest people.
    Maybe dishonesty didn't have that much to do with it. Maybe someone thought it was rubbish and it got chucked out. There's only a limited Number of people who would be in the market for a smuggle gift card.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What will she tell the friend who bought her the gift card?
    I think I'd replace the money for this reason only and make sure DD understood.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be sympathetic; it sucks when you lose something of value to you, but I wouldn't replace it. I expect my 3 year old to look after her own belongings, and she's (generally) more than capable. At most I'd do what you did, and buy her something small as a consolation.