+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 7 week old sleep - help?

Hi all, hoping some of you lovely ladies can help me help my sister.

She has a 2yo and a 7 week old. With her 2 year old she was lucky to have a 'good' sleeper pretty much straight away. So she's now at a total loss as to what to do with her 7 week old who will not sleep during the day, and wakes every couple of hours overnight. This has been going on since week 3.

She wants to get referred to a sleep school, but I'm not sure if she'll get a referral due to bub still being so young. Unfortunately she's feeling rather desperate as she feels like she's slipping into PND again, she had it pretty bad with her first.

Personally I think bub is still a bit too too young for sleep training, I know it's not reccomended before 6 months, but I don't want to tell her this due to her mental state, so I'm not sure how to help her...

Bub was diagnosed with lactose intolerance about 3 weeks ago, and has been on a lactose free formula since then. She's feeding, weeing and pooping normally. They don't know of any other medical issues.

So my questions are:

- If she goes to her GP, what medical conditions could she ask to be check for that may be affecting sleep?

- What is the youngest age that a sleep school will accept bub?

- Are there any gentle techniques for encouraging day sleeps that could be used on a bub so young?

- What things can she do/check for encouraging longer sleep periods overnight?

Please don't turn this into a debate thread (there's already one of those going!). I really want to help her as she's getting to a desperate stage, but I'm not sure what to reccomend due to bub still being so young...? 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    7 weeks was the worst with my DD, then she turned a corner. There was nothing "wrong" with her, she was just in the 4th trimester big time!

Based on my experience, the most help you can give (if this is possible) is stay at her house overnight for a few nights and take the baby between 1am and 4am (or longer) so mum can sleep. If you can't do it, is a night nanny a possibility?

Sorry, didn't answer any of your actual questions as I don't know how to encourage better sleep at that age.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2016),Frankenmum  (27-05-2016),MsViking  (27-05-2016),VicPark  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 7 week old sleep - help?

There are plenty of 'gentle' sleep training techniques that can be implemented from day dot. Recommend seeing a GP first to rule out medical issues.

- swaddle
    - room temp and bedding. Grab a gro-egg and thermostat controlled heater to help monitor and maintain an appropriate room temp. Many bubs have sleep issues due to being far too cold (parents underestimate the amount of bedding needed).
    - hunger. Look at feeding. If breastfeeding bub could be going through a growth spurt - needing more feeds around 6 weeks is normal. If bub squarks - feed. Even if every few hours. Can someone give mum respite. A hubby? You?
    - wind - is bub being burped regularly?
    - timing of day naps? How is your sister deciding when to put bub to bed? Might be too late or too early.
    - is the sleep environment the same throughout a desired sleep window? If music is played at the start make sure it doesn't stop. Never transition locations after bub falls asleep.
    Last edited by VicPark; 27-05-2016 at 20:29.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-05-2016),mollyann  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    7 weeks was the worst with my DD, then she turned a corner. There was nothing "wrong" with her, she was just in the 4th trimester big time!

Based on my experience, the most help you can give (if this is possible) is stay at her house overnight for a few nights and take the baby between 1am and 4am (or longer) so mum can sleep. If you can't do it, is a night nanny a possibility?

Sorry, didn't answer any of your actual questions as I don't know how to encourage better sleep at that age.
    Unfortunately I can't help at the moment, she lives an hour away, I have a 3yo, am pregnant and have sciatica, and moving house & renovating starting from next week...!

I might suggest she look into a night nanny. I think if I told her "its a phase and it'll pass" she'd rip my head off 😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

- swaddle
    - room temp and bedding. Grab a gro-egg and thermostat controlled heater to help monitor and maintain an appropriate room temp. Many bubs have sleep issues due to being far too cold (parents underestimate the amount of bedding needed).
    - hunger. Look at feeding. If breastfeeding bub could be going through a growth spurt - needing more feeds around 6 weeks is normal. If bub squarks - feed. Even if every few hours. Can someone give mum respite. A hubby? You?
    - timing of day naps? How is your sister deciding when to put bub to bed? Might be too late or too early.
    - is the sleep environment the same throughout a desired sleep window? If music is played at the start make sure it doesn't stop. Never transition locations after bub falls asleep.
    Most of these things she's got covered, but day naps are a huge issue - they're pretty much non-existant right now.

What's the reccomended strategy with these? I know there's a feed/play/sleep routine, but not timings...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There are plenty of 'gentle' sleep training techniques that can be implemented from day dot. Recommend seeing a GP first to rule out medical issues.

- swaddle
    Hey @VicPark..

Sorry to high jack the thread OP!!

re:groegg.. It says for 16-20degrees to put only vest, onsie and 1tog bag... Other people say rug the babies up. What's your opinion on the Groegg clothing guidelines.. ( 11mth old )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she should look into mother baby units locally (sometimes these are also known as sleep schools). They will usually accept infants from6 weeks, and my experience has been that they won't necessarily "sleep train" from that age, rather they will look at all of the issues including mum and bubs health, and help mum with a bunch of settling techniques that work for her and baby, all within a safe and supportive environment. It's more about building confidence in mum and helping her to bond and enjoy baby more at this stage. I would really recommend this especially if she's experienced PND before. She will need a GP referral.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-05-2016),gingermillie  (27-05-2016),SJ565  (28-05-2016),Stretched  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I think she should look into mother baby units locally (sometimes these are also known as sleep schools). They will usually accept infants from6 weeks, and my experience has been that they won't necessarily "sleep train" from that age, rather they will look at all of the issues including mum and bubs health, and help mum with a bunch of settling techniques that work for her and baby, all within a safe and supportive environment. It's more about building confidence in mum and helping her to bond and enjoy baby more at this stage. I would really recommend this especially if she's experienced PND before. She will need a GP referral.
    Thank you so much! I'll pass this along to her

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't have much advice about how to get bub to sleep, but if she contacts her CFHN they might know if there are any day programs for infant settling. Where I live there is no inpatient sleep school but there is a great program where you go for the day and the nurses there help with settling/sleeping/feeding/routine etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will the baby sleep in a carrier? Up until this week my DS2 (12 weeks) would only sleep in either the carrier or pram during the day. And fed 1-2 hourly overnight. He has only started stretching his night feeds out this past week. (Day sleeps are still mainly in pram or carrier but we get one a day in cot, if only 20 mins!).

White noise has also helped - can buy those little battery operated sound spas from baby bunting/babiesrus etc, or use apps on the iPhone/iPad.

I know that's not very helpful but if there are some coping strategies you can suggest this might buy time until Bub is a little older and more settled. Any family or friends that can go over for a few hours each day and give mum a break so she can catch a few hours uninterrupted sleep etc.

Also is there anyone that can take the 2 yr old for a day/night here & there? During my worst weeks this helped me immensely - I could just focus on Bub and me & sleep without the older child competing for my attention and energy.

I don't know about the sleep schools. I too thought this was for 6mths + and they usually have long waiting lists anyway. It's really hard because she probably thinks there is something 'wrong' with her baby that can be 'fixed' given her previous experience with her 'good' sleeper.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-05-2016)