+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low / poor responders

Hi Ladies,

I have just completed 5 IUI and 17 IVF cycles over the last 3.5 yrs, and thought I'd share my experiences in hope that someone else will find it beneficial.
    On the 17th IVF attempt, and when I was just about to give up, I fell pregnant and have just delivered a healthy baby boy.

I was considered a low responder as I was averaging 2-4 mature follicles and 1-3 eggs collected at each cycle. All except 2 cycles ended with a transfer on day 3 or 5.

These were my stats in the last 12 months:
    Age 40
    AMH: 3.7
    Antral follicle count: 10
    FSH at day 3: >10

In the last 2 cycles, my mature follicle count jumped to 5 and 9 and eggs collected was 4, which was a significant improvement. Here is what changed in my last 2 cycles:
    *600mg of Coenzyme Q10 daily
    *Changed from Menopur to Gonal F. Menopur contains LH which can convert to testosterone which can ruin egg quality.
    *Stopped taking DHEA during FSH stimulation.
    *Started estrogen priming for 7 days prior to the beginning of the cycle.

I believe that the estrogen priming lowered the naturally occurring FSH levels during the luteal stage which increased the number of mature follicles produced when FSH stimulation injections started, and the elimination of extra testosterone improved the egg quality.

Over the 17 cycles I have had my share of quack fertility Drs, and also a Dr who told me to give up, so I changed Drs. Multitudes of failed attempts is emotionally draining, but as long as you are producing at least 1 transferable embryo there is always hope. Hang in there and don't let anyone else tell you when it's time to give up. It can happen.

If you are a low / poor responder ask your doctor about estrogen priming.
    Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by Nello; 27-05-2016 at 20:25.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nello For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (27-05-2016),gypsychild  (04-08-2016),LillyM  (27-06-2016),nattie84  (25-07-2016),pingc383  (16-11-2016),Tinachris  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's amazing @Nello! Wow 17 cycles and I'm exhausted at 3!!! your story is totally amazing!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would add, I have used 4 different fertility centres and highly recommend The Fertility Centre. Why:
    1. The cost
    2. The level of 'care' factor from the nurses, DRs, and all staff was exceptional. During high stress and emotional times they were brilliant, other places were dismal and only interested in me as $$$.
    3. On time appointments and professionally run centre. Average wait times were 2-10 minutes. Wait times at other clinics averaged 1 hour! Even with an appointment. The extra stress caused by waiting is not needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a needle phobia and faint during blood tests!

After 22 stimulation cycles having up to 3 needles per day, can't say my phobia is cured, but I have learnt to be brave!

Anyone can do it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nello For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Nello thank you very much for this info. I am 39 and have secondary IF, after 7yrs we reluctantly started IVF and had 2 crap cycles. First round I got 2 eggs, 2nd round 6 eggs (5 mature). Your post really appealed to me in case we go again (I was rushed to resuscitation in emergency due to severe haemorrhage at 3dp5dt, so Im recovering from that incident & unsure if I can go again). I will take any advice to prep for another go.

Mentally its also hard to cope with responding poorly and never having anything to freeze.

I wish you well and congrats. This is the type of story I want to read on a thread. Love it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nello, I am grateful for you sharing your story. I have just had my third IVF cycle which resulted in no embyros to transfer. According to the nurse I spoke to today, I was on the same medications as my second cycle (which I have four viable embryos transferred) - gonal f, syneral and luveris. And DHEA was added for this cycle. I already take 300mg COQ10 (amongst many other supplements) but this is the second time today I've read to increase it to 600mg, which I will do. Could you tell me what is estrogen priming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Billie2, i'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience. It's so hard to find the courage to stay positive some days, when it can be very depressing.

I also had unexplained secondary IF and there is now a 6 year age gap between my two babes. It's frustrating when no one can tell you why I fell pregnant so easy the first time, but so much trouble the second.

Due to the low number of eggs, I also never had any frozen, so every attempt was like starting from scratch.

I was on DHEA but not sure whether it did anything as I was on it for almost 4 years.

It's a very personal decision as to whether to keep going with IVF, but if you can manage it I would encourage you to keep going.

My thoughts are with you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nello For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Skeeter, another change I just thought of, I stopped taking DHEA during stimulation. DHEA contains a small amount of testosterone which for me was the enemy.
    I was on DHEA for 4 years and took it constantly, except for last 2 cycles when I stopped taking it during stims.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Estrogen Priming is something I discovered by my own research as it was not offered to me by any fertility Drs until I asked.

The theory is that our body produces a small amount of FSH in the luteal phase which goes toward pre-selecting the dominate follicle in the next cycle. My FSH levels were high at the start of each cycle (>10) which is a pre-indication of a low responder. As the dominate follicle is already selected prior to the start of the cycle, no amount of stimulation drug can encourage more follicles to grow.

Estogen Priming between day 21 and 28, tricks the body into thinking that FSH is already being produced and therefore does not produce any more. Therefore the pre-selection has not been made and every available antral follicle is then available.

Hope this helps and good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nello For This Useful Post:

pingc383  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nello I have googled estrogen priming and I think I already do that, I always start syneral on day 21...