+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can somone please explain how the childcare rebate/benefit works?

My little guy turns 3 in October which means where we are in nsw he is allowed to start preschool. There is a gorgeous little preschool in our rural town that I would love to send him to twice a week (that's the minimum they can go) as he's never had experience in day care or anything so the social and learning skills I believe would benefoit him plus I am due with no 2 in November so it would be good for me too!

Now the fees there are $65 a day before rebate. I do not work and am on a single parent payment and receive a small amount of child support. Does this mean I am not entitled to any rebate or benefit? If I AM roughly how much would it be (I receive the full parent payment $1160 a fortnight)?
    Fingers crossed I am entitled to something so I can send him otherwise I can't afford it

Thanks for any advice! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not sure how it will work when the new one kicks on but the 50% rebate is for everyone. The benefit is means tested. I would assume you will get both. To find out what you will get there is a calculator. If I can find I will link.

Eta. https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEs...mbinedStart.do

Hope it works.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Can somone please explain how the childcare rebate/benefit works?

The rebate is for working parents and is not means tested. So you would only qualify for benefit.

Everyone's benefit is different so impossibly to tell you how much you would get

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I dont work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
    No I dont work
    Sorry, I edited my above post. You will not qualify for rebate if you don't work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, but I will still qualify for the benefit? Looks like I might need to sit on hold to centrelink for a few hours 😅

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The rebate is for working parents and is not means tested. So you would only qualify for benefit.

Everyone's benefit is different so impossibly to tell you how much you would get
    Whoops. Sorry. I did know that. Ignore my everyone gets it bit. But using the estimator will show you what you will get back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
    Thank you, but I will still qualify for the benefit? Looks like I might need to sit on hold to centrelink for a few hours 😅
    They will probably tell you to use the rate estimator I linked earlier.

Just go through it - you will enter how much the childcare fee is, how many days/hours in care and how much taxable income per year etc etc and it will let you know how much you get back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd attends a small preschool in NSW. I'm not sure how it works but it's about $60 a day (9-3) but she only goes 1 morning a week (3 year old kinder). Fees are halved for those who have a health care card. I think you need to speak to the centre to get exact price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm in NSW and my DS attends preschool 3 days per week (a non-profit preschool that only runs during school terms/school hours, not a day care centre) and we pay $55 per day.

We qualify only for the 'childcare benefit for registered care', and it's a very minimal benefit that can be claimed when the preschool provides me with an invoice showing the summary of fees paid for the term.

To give you an idea of how minimal the benefit is, we got about $133 for last term and paid $1,485 worth of fees. Better than nothing, but it's not much.

ETA: I work full time, DH works casual. There is a minimum work/study criteria that must be met to be able to claim this benefit.
    Last edited by Mod-Degrassi; 27-05-2016 at 14:31.