+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Secondhand shoes....

So one of my lovely friends very generously gave me a bunch of hand me downs the other day from her DD to mine. In amongst all of the stuff were several pairs of shoes. All the shoes were in good nick - some were brand new and never worn, but some had clearly been worn before. Not shabby looking at all, but just clearly been worn a few times (understandable in a box of hand me downs!).

Where does everyone sit on second hand shoes for babies/toddlers? I'm not sure it sits right with me. I wouldn't wear second hand shoes myself but I'm just not sure about it for little kids! Clothes to me are different, they can be washed.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We personally don't like to put DD in second hand shoes although I know lots of parents who do. I just find that shoes tend to mould to the the shape of individual feet and especially when children are little its not good for their growing feet. We have had bags of pass me down clothes and shoes given to us which we take with pleasure and usually just select what we want passing shoes and other bits either onto to charity or other people. DD has very thin difficult feet for shoes anyway so its quite easy to pass them on. This is only my personal opinion however and I am not judging anyone who does choose to use second hand shoes, dont want to upset anyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are able to purchase new shoes for children this is the best way IMO.

As pp mentioned shoes mould to the wearer's feet. The soles also wear down according the way the person walks. This would impact on any other person wearing them and may actually impair the gait of a child whose feet are still growing and developing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Secondhand shoes....

As others have said, I'm pretty sure it's not recommended..

However, my kids do wear hand me downs, including shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has been given lots of shoes that my friends child would not wear. Although they are second hand they have never been worn and are his size so I dont see the problem as they are pretty much new and wont affect him.
    Ones that have been worn Im not a fan of, im also not a fan of second hand socks (i have had a few in bags from a friend) I find them gross.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been given lots of secondhand shoes. The ones which have obviously been worn lots I put in the bin or send to the op shop. Others like party or special occasion shoes I keep as they have normally only been worn 2-3 times. I'm very fussy though and prefer to buy new shoes and have them fitted properly in store.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never been given any 2nd hand shoes for DS.

We're a bit fussy with his footwear, but if I received something like a good quality sandal that looked like it had barely been worn I'd probably consider keeping them. Anything that looks well worn - nope.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We got given heaps of second hand shoes for ds. We never used them. Mostly because they were too small (ds' feet are big for his age).

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't reuse shoes that have been worn, even between my kids I don't keep dd1s for my second shoes unless they were worn before she was walking or standing. My podiatrist does not recommend using second hand shoes if they have been worn more than 3 times by someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm very picky about secondhand shoes but will use them if I can't see any wear. I figure if the sole looks perfect and the inside doesn't have any moulding from the previous wearer then they shouldn't have a negative impact.