+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need help regarding kitten? Any vets or vet nurses o?

We adopted a rescue kitten 5 weeks ago. I noticed the kitten had loose poop but didn't think anything of it. Over the last 5 weeks the kitten has got diarrhoea. We have an appointment with a vet on sat. We feed it science diet and fancy feast kitten as the person I adopted from said that's what she eats. But she farts all the freakin time and her poops are deadly. Any idea why this might be happening? We have another cat and never had any issues like this. Both cats are indoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd try stopping the wet food. I've had a cat before that just couldn't eat it as she would always get an upset tummy from it. Worth a shot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not giving it any milk are you?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    You're not giving it any milk are you?
    Nope. Thing is she seems fine and is growing, eating, playing otherwise we would have taken her to the vet sooner.

Yes I have stopped her wet food today.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lots of possibilities. Most likely she's got a sensitive stomach as the digestive tract is still maturing and many puppies and kittens can't tolerate certain foods well. However there are also a few infectious causes of diarrhoea that are more common in young animals such as giardia, campylobacter that can also be transmitted to humans. Def worth a vet trip and in the meantime be very careful cleaning up and keep kids away from any mess, as pp has said hold off wet food for now and the vet will probably prescribe you some special diet for a while to help settle things down.
    Also quick note if she becomes unwell, ie extremely lethargic, looking in pain etc before sat then I would advise getting her to the vet asap to be checked out as diarrhoea can cause a serious condition caused intussuception that can be life threatening.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-05-2016),Janesmum123  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Lots of possibilities. Most likely she's got a sensitive stomach as the digestive tract is still maturing and many puppies and kittens can't tolerate certain foods well. However there are also a few infectious causes of diarrhoea that are more common in young animals such as giardia, campylobacter that can also be transmitted to humans. Def worth a vet trip and in the meantime be very careful cleaning up and keep kids away from any mess, as pp has said hold off wet food for now and the vet will probably prescribe you some special diet for a while to help settle things down.
    Also quick note if she becomes unwell, ie extremely lethargic, looking in pain etc before sat then I would advise getting her to the vet asap to be checked out as diarrhoea can cause a serious condition caused intussuception that can be life threatening.
    thanks she seems fine and is running around, eating etc.
    What exactly can we get from her? And how will we know we have it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Certain bacteria, Protozoa or parasites can cause diarrhoea and are not host specific, ie the bacteria campylobacter is a cause of food poisoning in people usually caused by handling raw meat like chicken, but it can also be found in animals and will be passed in the faeces so handling this can pose a risk. Most cases of diarrhoea in animals isn't infectious but it's just more common in puppies and kittens especially in ongoing cases that don't respond to bland food, probiotics etc.
    The way you would know if you had it would be that you would have similar symptoms. Honestly I don't think in my career I have ever come across a case of an owner catching an infectious disease from their pet but it's just a risk to be aware of.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-05-2016),Janesmum123  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Certain bacteria, Protozoa or parasites can cause diarrhoea and are not host specific, ie the bacteria campylobacter is a cause of food poisoning in people usually caused by handling raw meat like chicken, but it can also be found in animals and will be passed in the faeces so handling this can pose a risk. Most cases of diarrhoea in animals isn't infectious but it's just more common in puppies and kittens especially in ongoing cases that don't respond to bland food, probiotics etc.
    The way you would know if you had it would be that you would have similar symptoms. Honestly I don't think in my career I have ever come across a case of an owner catching an infectious disease from their pet but it's just a risk to be aware of.
    Ok thanks. BTW what's the best dry food I can feed her? I am using science diet kitten is that ok? Also I use revolution on her ( cause she was infested with fleas) do I also need to worm her on top?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My rescue cat had the same symptoms. Went to the vet who said the most likely cause was that kitten food can be quite rich and was too much for him so he got switched over to special science diet sensitive stomach food ( we bought it from the vets) and he got some pills in case it was anything infectious. He was fine after a couple of weeks.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KitKat2 For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Ok thanks. BTW what's the best dry food I can feed her? I am using science diet kitten is that ok? Also I use revolution on her ( cause she was infested with fleas) do I also need to worm her on top?
    Science kitten is very good in my opinion (my own cat is actually on this as he's diabetic and it helps control it) but probably in the short term she would benefit from a prescription food for stomach upsets such as hills id or Royal canin sensitivity.
    In terms of flea control I'm afraid I'm not up to date with products over here as I'm from the uk and haven't worked in oz since coming over a year ago. Worming is a must but I would wait until sat and get a vet product.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (27-05-2016)