+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah nah I don't think he will. I was wondering that before.

Plus it's a moot point anyway cos she wrote back and said I have to stay too and it will be fun to drink tea and watch our boys have fun. And no one else can come and it's just us 😭😭😭 so panicky right now.
    I hope you and your ds have a lovely time.

I'm feeling quite sorry for this woman, it appears that they have little friends if there is nobody else see him on his birthday

I would imagine I'd do something similar if dd1 expressed an interest or mentioned others as I'm terribly shy and it'd be a nice way to meet people. Unfortunately it appears dd1 takes after me 😪

At least these days there is always your phone to play with if things get awkward.

Go, drink tea, and bring a small pressie to be polite

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

harvs  (27-05-2016),kim85  (27-05-2016),Wise Enough  (27-05-2016),wobbleyhorse  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah nah I don't think he will. I was wondering that before.

Plus it's a moot point anyway cos she wrote back and said I have to stay too and it will be fun to drink tea and watch our boys have fun. And no one else can come and it's just us 😭😭😭 so panicky right now.
    Ok, back to @Moxy's plan!

You never know, the mum may be feeling just as terrified as you and is putting herself out there to try to make some friends for her son.

My trick is to prepare 5 topics/questions that I can talk about, to fill any awkward silences. Also, have a quick look around when you arrive and see if you can find any conversation starters, like an obvious interest or hobby that you can talk about.

Deep breaths hun! You'll do just fine!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-05-2016),harvs  (27-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-05-2016),LoveLivesHere  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a good time Harvs! I like the idea of having talking topics ready. At least if you stay, you can have some control on when you leave. Ie best be going soon so we can have dinner etc. I dont necessarily think you need to stay til 6pm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

harvs  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that she's probably as nervous as you and trying to make friends for her son, and probably herself.

This is based on my experience of small town WA, but I'm going to guess if his family have brown skin, they possibly get shunned quite a lot.

At that age, DD's daycare bestie was half Vietnamese. I became friends with his mum but she revealed down the track that not many mums bother talking to her and she's found making friends hard. There was a lot of racism, plus she had a very thick accent. I feel so sad for her (not pity, she's a tough cookie!) that other people aren't as open to people with diverse backgrounds as some of us. Their loss though!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good you are staying I think. 4 imo is too young to drop at someone's house that you don't really seem to know for sure.

Sounds like she is putting herself out there which is nice. I'm that shy person and maybe she is.. And maybe she is freaking out as much as you about having a guest over.

Take a small gift and a small plate (even a packet of donuts from Coles) to share with your tea..

My son is brown and if someone said that about him I wouldn't think twice ( a child I mean) because yep he is brown. I'm not too sensitive though unless they said it in a negative way

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-05-2016),VicPark  (28-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to say that your text makes it sound like you want to go...the 'we'd love to come!' Bit.
    You'll be okay...you might hit it off, or maybe you won't. You don't need to be friends with every parent if the kids your child is friends with. If it's too awkward just go be one of those mums who plays with the kids 😉 Start a game of hide and seek or red rover etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you are having a great time Harvs!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

harvs  (28-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hope you are having a great time Harvs!
    Thanks! Just got back. It was ok. I didn't die. I do however feel sooooo ill to the point I almost cancelled, but I couldn't bring myself to when DS was the only guest. So I didn't eat anything in case I got a hit of the voms and felt a bit awkward about that but otherwise it was ok.

And I was 30 seconds away before I realised I forgot to do @Frankenmum's homework and think of topics to talk about...so next time I'll do that.

Oh, and DS kept walking around the room and picking up things and asking 'can I have this?' So embarrassing. But it was survivable. 7/10 would do again...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (29-05-2016),Frankenmum  (28-05-2016),littleriv  (28-05-2016),SuperGranny  (30-05-2016)