+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about your iron please!

We need a new iron. Ours is some common brand el cheapo does the job etc. It's getting tired. With DS1 starting school next year I can no longer hide behind non-creasing fabrics (I loathe ironing), so I want an iron that virtually irons my clothes for me. I don't understand what the difference is between a $30 and $200 iron. But I am willing to pay if it's genuinely easier to use and saves me hours of ironing each week! Recommendations please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What is this iron you speak of?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Full House  (26-05-2016),gingermillie  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    What is this iron you speak of?
    😂 oh there isn't a magic iron that does it for you?! 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know the difference between a $30 iron and a $200 one.

I got rid of one recently because it didn't steam properly. When I chose my current one, I went to Harvey Norman and picked them all up and chose the lightest and most comfortable to hold. Some had the cord sticking out at funny angles that would annoy me over time. My current iron is a Braun and from memory was around the $100 mark.

I've heard the steam stations are good, but they are big $ and you would need to do a lot of ironing to justify the expense.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a fairly decent one (I think) from seconds world for about $80 I went for light weight. Don't buy a Phillips we've had about 3 and they always end up tripping the power after 12mths. I iron almost everything but
    I refuse to do shirts, dd also starts school next year and they'll be going to the dry clears with DHs 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tefal steam station. Life changing for me and I had expensive regular irons before that were a chore to use. Wait for on sale though as they are expensive. Quick and easy to use. Clothes look great after using.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumpy For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Tefal steam station. Life changing for me and I had expensive regular irons before that were a chore to use. Wait for on sale though as they are expensive. Quick and easy to use. Clothes look great after using.
    What makes the steam stations so good? Total ironing novice here 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    What makes the steam stations so good? Total ironing novice here 😂
    The more steam you will have will mean you get the wrinkles better. And its generally faster. They have steadier steam. I do not have one. Probably do not have to get one as I have not touched an iron in well over a year and DH does not care that much about irons

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Full House  (26-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    The more steam you will have will mean you get the wrinkles better. And its generally faster. They have steadier steam. I do not have one. Probably do not have to get one as I have not touched an iron in well over a year and DH does not care that much about irons
    Thanks for clarifying! I think I might look into one. I hate ironing so much but can't deny the fact I will be ironing school shirts whether I like it or not. I would probably be ok with ironing if I found it a bit easier, our iron sucks. Or maybe I just suck at it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hated and sucked at ironing until I got my steam station. It literally now takes a quarter of the time with a far superior result. More creases out and less effort. You simply glide it over the garment whilst holding a button to release the steam.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumpy For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (27-05-2016)