+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4.5 year old has only just learnt to dress herself - buttons, zips etc, and doing little chores here and there. She can do her teeth, but only goes to the toilet for #1s and has major psychological issues with #2s. No developmental delays have been observed by educators at kindy. I wouldn't worry yet! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My youngest turns 3 in August.

My proudest thing is that she can turn the coffee grinder on, tamper the ground coffee and with DH's help she can then press the right button to make an espresso.

Anything else is cream on the cake for me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-05-2016),Ngaiz  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS just turned 3 and he can't brush his teeth (it's still a huge battle) still working on being fully toilet trained, can't wipe his bum and def couldn't wash his own hair.

He's a bit behind in talking but can count to 20, can write and recognise the alphabet (with some wonky letters) working on writing his name. He helps me put dishes in dishwasher, clothes in machine, rubbish in bin etc. but no way he could do that on his own. Still needs help getting dressed. I rekon all 3 year olds are totally different.

Oh and I just realised he can go to the apple App Store and scroll through then download his own apps. Must look at my settings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Holy Grail right there...
    I'm choosing to block the memory of DS1 still not being toilet trained at age 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 year old girl is also 4 in October . She can dress herself , clean her teeth , sort her self out with bottom wiping , change her clothes when messy , do simple chores such as hang up her clothes on a hanger and cut up vegetables with a knife ... However !! My two boys who are 7 and 5 STILL get me to brush their teeth , my five year old struggles to put his socks and shoes on , he still makes a big mess all over the floor when doing a pee . My three year old takes off her clothes at night and puts them in the laundry , my boys of 5 and 7 throw them on the floor and would leave them there for a week if I didn't do anything . At 3 my boys where still in nappies , my 3 year old girl was out of them at 2 and toilet training was over night . I would never trust my boys at 3 to cut up vegetable with a knife ! Ha ha ha

So I suppose I'm saying that even though I've treated them all the same , I think it's an individual personality thing , my boys are far less fearful at climbing trees and swimming and chasing lizards and that sort of thing , they brush off falling over but my 3 year old girl freaks out over that type of independence so I wouldn't worry about what your son can do at 3 , it may be way more than some and not as much as others . 😄 . But we all get there in the end .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    My husband can't load the dishwasher properly, and he's 45!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Mine can't either, or put things in the washing basket! No wonder my 6 year old can't do most if the things in the list 😱 there should be a new thread "what can your husband do?" 😉😆

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 just turned 3 and can do most of those things. She doesnt make her bed as it's a double has a rail on the side, however she helps me make mine.
    From about 3 months before turning 3 she had crazy emotional and mental growth spurts. So much more reasoning and comprehension. She just went from toddler to kid in the blink of an eye.
    She knows numbers and colours but not letters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay ...I'll do this with my youngest, who was by far the most independent of my children (forced to, we're outnumbered).
    By 3 1/2- 4 they could:
    * get dressed minus buttons/zippers/socks.
    *get their own cereal and milk and make breakfast for themselves (taught by older siblings, not me)
    * Make their own bed (badly...but it was their choice...it's their job officially when they turn 5)
    *wipe their own bum (I will confess...daycare taught my first, who passed on the skill to all subsequent children...I never actually taught any of them)
    * brush their own teeth (I did it of an evening...mornings were rushed...I'm goi g to guess that said child did a sheethouse job of it...but several years later no teeth have fallen out so I can breathe a sigh of relief).
    * pack the pre-school bag (lunchbox, hat and jumper).

* the dishwasher is something our kids gain responsibility for at 8, so no way were we considering it at 3.
    * put their toys away.
    * help put the groceries away (anything that was within their reach...so fruit in fruit dispenser, vegies in vegie dispenser, milk in fridge door, canned food in pantry)...but this was more a learning tool on what foods were what, not an expected chore.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What can your 3 year old do?

My son is 5 in October and only started dressing himself around age 4. He was washing his hair earlier than that but only because he loves showers. My other son is terrified of showers and only does baths, which makes it hard to wash his hair himself (he's 3 in November). As for doing the bed, DS1 is almost 5 and still doesn't do it properly. and he has never loaded the dishwasher! lol!!!!!!! As if! Both boys do take their dirty plates to the kitchen benchtop.

ETA - ds1 (4yrs & 7 months) has been brushing teeth on his own properly since about age 3.5 and DS2 (2.5yrs) is only just starting to brush his teeth without help but he does an awful job of it so I always have to help him (which he hates).
    Last edited by witherwings; 01-06-2016 at 00:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    No...Lucy can't do anything of those things on your list
    She can do a bunch of other very annoying things, such as:
    Empty dog food on the kitchen floor.
    Undo her car-seat restraints.
    Take her nappy off at random times for no reason.
    Genius!

👍🏼