+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is about to turn 3, he can:

- dress himself (except zippers & buttons). He still comes out wearing his undies as a belt sometimes, but most of the time he's pretty good.

- brush his teeth, he loves the flavour so he's always been keen to do it. We just do a thorough job after he's had his go.

- can't wipe his bum. He tried the other day (oh god, poop everywhere!! Ended in a shower and the bathroom needing to be cleaned).

- Loves to play with the vacuum, but the second its turned on he runs away crying and hides.

- Takes his finished plate, puts scraps in the bin and puts plate in the sink...We're in shock, we never taught him this! Must have picked it up at daycare?

- make bed, heck no!

- wash hair, definitely not! He hates it.

- Help with chores, he likes to try to help, but he's not very helpful...

But his speech is a bit behind the curve, he can't count, doesn't know colours.

All kids just develop at different rates in different areas. My DS is very physical, so does well in those areas, but getting him to sit and learn something - no chance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband can't load the dishwasher properly, and he's 45!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-05-2016),babynomad  (31-05-2016),binnielici  (26-05-2016),Frankenmum  (26-05-2016),GirlsRock  (26-05-2016),harvs  (26-05-2016),monnie24  (26-05-2016),Stretched  (26-05-2016),TableDancer  (26-05-2016),witherwings  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boys are pretty close in age DS2 can:

Get undressed like a champion, usually the minute we walk in the door.

Put t-shirts and jumpers on independently. 50/50 putting pants on. 50/50 on socks too.

Get his shoes and put them on, take them off and put them away.

Wipe his bum - yeah ha he isn't toilet trained so yeah

Make the bed. He sleeps with us so he helps me make the bed, then climbs back in and makes a mess.

We have a Dyson stick vac so he regularly gets that out and runs around the house with it. That said he can vac a specific mess if directed.

He helps me unpack and pack the dishwasher and knows to take his plate to the kitchen, rubbish in bin, rinse the dishes and put them in dishwasher (not where I want them but they're in there!)

Brushes his teeth and then I or DH go over them. He is good with flossing as well (he uses the sticks with floss).

Wash his hair - he's never had his hair washed. Dries himself pretty well after though.

He is actually VERY helpful in the kitchen. He has a learning tower and gets ingredients and puts them away as asked. He can peel vegetables (sometimes a little too vigorously 😄), chop softer vege/fruit very competently, he mixes batters etc, does the oven/ Thermomix under supervision. Seriously he is an awesome helper in the kitchen.

He also opens and then closes the blinds downstairs each day.

But he can only count to 4, doesn't know any songs, refuses to toilet train, eats an extremely limited number of foods that changes from moment to moment - usually just after you prepared what he asked for 😡

They are all different and every child in this thread sounds perfectly normal to me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 3.5 and can't do many of the things on that list!

He can get dressed and undressed independently, but occasionally needs help with zips and might get shoes on wrong feet sometimes.

Puts shoes/clothes away (by which I mean throw them on his bed!) and in the washing hamper .

Gets into the bath and washes himself independently (but I still do his hair)
    Loves to vaccuum and will do it for 20-30mins at a time (with noise cancelling headphones on!) but does a terrible job.

Unpacks the dishwasher and will put things in (but never where I thing they should go!)

Brushes his teeth (but we always go over them to - I think dentists recommend parents help until age 7 or 8?)

He still needs me to check he's wiped properly after the toilet and doesn't make his bed (though to be fair, it's a loft bed so pretty high).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    He is actually VERY helpful in the kitchen. He has a learning tower and gets ingredients and puts them away as asked. He can peel vegetables (sometimes a little too vigorously 😄), chop softer vege/fruit very competently, he mixes batters etc, does the oven/ Thermomix under supervision. Seriously he is an awesome helper in the kitchen.
    My DS also loves helping in the kitchen.

I am looking at getting the kid safe knives because he wants to help cut everything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-05-2016),harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has just turned 3,
    She can put on tops and jumpers, probably back to front half the time. She can't do zips, buttons or socks. She can put on pants but again they may be back to front and she has trouble pulling the back up over her bum. She can put her knickers on but it is very hit and miss as to exactly how and I'm usually not allowed to help fix them.

I can't imagine she could make her bed. She has not long started pulling her blanket up when it slips over night.

She is determined to brush her teeth herself but definitely misses a lot so I go over them.

We don't have a dishwasher. Sometimes she puts her dishes in the sink.

No way would she wash her own hair properly, my nine year old barely does. Besides she HATES having her hair washed.

Cleaning- she hates the sound of the vaccum and would not touch it whilst on, she likes to try to sweep but the result is... interesting. She can theoretically wipe down surfaces but I certainly need to go over them again when she is not looking.

To copy @J37, things she can do really well-
    Make her older brother and sisters do whatever she wants
    Use her imagination a lot
    Jump in puddles
    Say 'just one more time' but not stick to one more time
    Say 'I'm not' when I tell her not to do something whilst doing that exact thing at the same time
    Fall asleep with 20 things on her bed with her

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son will be 4 in Decemeber and he has just started dressing himself in the last month or so. He is attempting buttons on his pj shirt and can get one of the top buttons into one of the bottom holes and calls that 'done' lol

TT at 2yrs but def cannot wipe his own butt, he is in this feral stage of going off to the toilet and not calling out to get wiped or attempting to wipe and just putting his undies back on -ewwwww skiddies!! Vomit!

can put on own shoes and socks, sometimes on the wrong feet except his Asics which have half a whale printed on the inner sole and he matches the picture and gets them on the correct feet.

he is number three and has seen his big brother and sister unpack/pack the dishwasher and he can do it quite well but this is def a trained skill from the big kids and him wanting to be big too.

hair washing doesn't phase him (or any of my kids for some reason) and can go upstairs and turn on the shower in the kids bathroom himself, get undressed and get in. Goes without saying the water temp in our bathrooms is set so it's not too hot. Again this is because he has seen the big kids do it and wants to be like them.

Teeth brushing he HATES, seriously it is the bane of my evening!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsIsMe For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default What can your 3 year old do?

Oh I love all of your kids!!! Thanks for all the feedback. I think to be honest I have dropped the ball a little on some of those 'teachable' moments so it's nice to get some ideas of where I could skill him up a little bit.

Also, @binnielici your post just reminded me that DS definitely took a little safety knife and some cucumber and avocado from the kitchen quite some time ago and inspired me to go on a little search in his playtent which I now regret 😳😷 and @J37 I won't be impressed til your DD can produce a pancetta crumb that she generously distributes over some kind of caramelised baked good 👍🏼

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-05-2016),J37  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    3/4 of my class (3-4yrs) can dress themselves independently, though they do sometimes get tangled. There are a handful that have zero clue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Harvs, my three year old can get dressed-things end up the wrong way around, especially undies and tops, but unfortunately i have not alot of time to let her explore these things... thats a bit sad... she wipes her own bottom, but she has t rex arms so there's usually a bit of 'residue' to sort out at bath time. She has huge, huge imagination, and acts out hugely complex play activities where she ropes us in to play.