+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My middle child is 4 in August. He has been able to dress himself for 6 months but needs help with socks and zips. Can unload/load the dishwasher. Brush his own teeth but I always do them too. I haven't wiped his bum since before Christmas.

I do think that he is so independent because I have 3 kids and DH isn't home much so he has been forced to learn.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there're a couple of weeks between our kids. DD can dress herself (except for buttons on the backs of dresses, and sometimes connecting zips on jackets etc.). If I asked her to make her bed, I'd first have to explain what on earth that meant...then she'd try, but get extremely frustrated because the bedding wasn't flat enough and it'd likely end in tears. She brushes her teeth in the morning (but does a pretty terrible job). She puts her dishes in the diswasher when I ask her to, but not where I'd like them to go. She tries to wipe her bum and vacuums with a handheld vacuum cleaner occasionally. I can't imagine her being able to actually clean with a broom or a full-sized vacuum cleaner. Definitely can't see her washing her hair.

Overall, she's probably capable of doing most of those things, and would be more than happy to, but I find it hard to let her do certain things if they're not up to my standard (like bum-wiping!!!).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 3 yrs 3m. He can brush his teeth, wipe his bum, wash his hair and himself.

Getting dressed he can sometime do it but he can get frustrated when he gets he legs stuck in pants etc. can put his shoes on but can not manage socks.

I don't know if he could make his own bed honestly have never tried but he can pick his own toys up, put his dishes in the sink, dirty clothes in the basket etc. He likes to sweep/ mop/ vac etc but just makes more mess than we started with

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sproutx3 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bahaha! The though of my Dd doing all those things sounds like a hilarious joke to me! She is just turned 3 and no where near any of those things. Tries to dress herself sometimes, gets frustrated, tears. Brings me her dishes and I put them in the dishwasher. Will hardly even let me wash her hair let alone contemplate doing it herself. No way she would be able to/have any desire to vacuum, it's too big and heavy anyway. She would be very inneffective at brushing her own teeth. As for wiping her bum, that sounds like a horror movie waiting to happen.
    I have no idea where someone would have come up with that list, have they even met an actual 3 yo?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-05-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They are still learning to master all of those things at that age. They can all probably do those things, albeit with a little difficulty. If I left it up to my 3 year old to dress/clean herself as well as chores, she'd happily attempt it but it absolutely wouldn't be done properly.
    My DD will be 4 at the end of July. I still wipe her bum for her (she attempts it but I know she's not going to do it properly), brushes her teeth ( read *chews on the brush and sucks the water off it, sticks it under the tap and repeats* ) but I always go over them thoroughly for her. She can dress herself for the most part but I still need to straighten her up. She puts shoes on the wrong feet etc.
    She loves being independent and wants to do everything herself and I suppose I could leave her to it.... If I wanted her to walk out the front door with sudsy matted hair, dirty teeth and clothes on backwards 😉 👍

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I haven't wiped his bum since before Christmas.
    Holy Grail right there...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-05-2016),binnielici  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3yo DD is fiercely independent and loves to 'help' mummy. The problem is, I'm sure by the time she is 5, shewill be over 'helping'. Oh well, she is eager for now. She -
    Dresses and undresses herself
    Toilets independently
    Packs toys away
    Puts clothes in the hamper
    Folds simple items of clean washing (singlets, undies, small cloths, etc)
    Washes the dishes (easy things like cups or plastic bowls)
    Helps out with her baby sister - gives her food, drinks, entertains her, etc
    Writes her name, reads letters and numbers, etc (not sure if this is relevant to the topic of 'what she can do')
    So I guess she loves to help, and wants nothing more in life than to make mummy say 'thankyou... well done!' She does have other challenges in life. But this is something I think she is pretty good at.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is Mr Independent but certainly doesn't do all of the things on the list!

I set out his cereal, bowl and milk and he pours his cereal and milk, takes bowl over to the table and puts it in the kitchen sink when done (he has an ikea step stool that he drags around the house!)
    - Chooses own clothes from baskets (which I have only put in things I want him to wear ) and attempts dressing but sometimes needs help with zips and buttons (during the week its track pants and simple shirts and he can do that)
    - Wipes his bum but I always check. I leave a packet of wipes in the toilet so he does 2/3 goes with paper and then uses a wipe (took a while for me to convince him to put the wipe in the bin and not in the toilet).
    - Brushes teeth and then I go over
    - Puts clothes in hamper and helps hang out clothes
    - Wipes down table with paper towel and water/vinegar spray (I have a mini spray bottle and the Melissa and Doug mini cleaning supplies he is actually quite helpful when it comes to tidying up!)
    - Packs toys away
    - Waters plants etc.

His Saturday morning treat is a magazine from the corner shop, he usually goes with DH and I meet them at breakfast, last week I went with them and DH said oh he does it by himself now - gave him £5, DS walked in, picked a magazine, paid and collected his change while DH and I stood outside the shop chatting

Every day asks for a baby sister to look after

No way he could wash his hair! Doesn't make the bed and messes mine up after I have made it and put all of the pillows just right!

The goes to a Montessori preschool and they are quite big on letting them do a lot of things for themselves so we try to let him at home - even if it takes longer!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well.
    Wipe his bum - I made him start doing cos he poos about 5 times a day and it's ALWAYS when I'm BF DS3. I get a commentary, I have psychic poo powers, "mum no more wiping?" Me sitting on the couch "one more" "k. Now now more wiping?" "That's right darling, well done" 😏

Wash his hair- I'm bad, I actually don't remember when we last washed his hair, has to be at least 6 months. Promise it doesn't look bad or smell!!

Brush teeth - dentists recommend they have a go but you do a thorough job till 6-8 (can't remember but I know it's ages)

Make bed - yeah we don't do that either.

Dishes - he sticks stuff in the sink and will help unpack the dishes from the dishwasher. 100% better than DH there.

Getting dressed - if he has something he wants to wear and I've said no - suddenly very capable and does it all on his own. Everyday getting dressed, he does about 50% but I'm trying to get him to do more. He has started picking his own clothes, pleasantly surprised by his fashion sense!!

Dusts and sweeps when he wants to

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh God Harvs, there is clearly something wrong with your son, and you need to get him assessed without delay.

My daughter is 3 in less than 2 weeks. She can:
    Pour me a glass of Prosecco.
    Recite the first ten numbers of pi.
    Glaze a ham.
    Change the oil in my car.
    Defrost and wipe out the freezer.

No...Lucy can't do anything of those things on your list
    She can do a bunch of other very annoying things, such as:
    Empty dog food on the kitchen floor.
    Undo her car-seat restraints.
    Take her nappy off at random times for no reason.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-06-2016),Bubintummy  (26-05-2016),harvs  (26-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-05-2016),Mad84  (26-05-2016),Moxy  (26-05-2016),MrsTugs  (26-05-2016),rusty22  (26-05-2016),Stretched  (26-05-2016),Sunnybambino  (26-05-2016),TableDancer  (26-05-2016),Tiny Dancer  (26-05-2016),witherwings  (01-06-2016)