+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default What can your 3 year old do?

I was just reading some article somewhere (sorry I can't be more specific there) that mentioned some things our little darlings should be able to do by 3. One of them was dress themselves completely. Another was basic chores such as load dishwasher, make beds etc. Then there was cleaning their own teeth, bums, hair.

So I think there's as much chance of getting DS to restump the house as doing some of these things independently! Just thinking about the getting dressed part - he can get undressed (most of the time) and put his arms through a top, pull his pants up when I've helped him put his legs in, make his shoes 'perfect' (fix up my rush job when the tongue isn't straight and the Velcro isn't tight enough). But no way can he dress himself.

He loves to help clean up and throw rubbish away and can put things in the dishwasher. He loves to sweep and vacuum. But again, with support.

He can clean his own teeth but is nowhere near cleaning his bum and I have no chance of getting him to do the torturous act that is washing his hair.

Should I be actively trying to get him to do more of this stuff? Or just following his lead? He is 4 in October.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have absolutely nothing to base this off other than my experience with my nieces and nephews... but...
    Toileting things seem to be one of those "in your own time" things. Washing hair properly is actually pretty tricky. I think a 3 year old would miss parts and rinse poorly.
    I don't think a 3 year old could make their beds properly. They might be fine with pulling up the covers and fixing their pillows.

3 year olds often don't have the attention to detail for cleaning by themselves. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dressing - my niece is 4 and has just started doing it all completely independently. She's fine!

I think a lot of it is just practice and repetition. It'll happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ha no way my just turned 3yr old can do those things.

He can help get dressed similar to what you said.

As for unpacking the dishwasher ive noticed he is recently very keen to 'help' me with things like that but no way id ever look away while he did it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And as we've only just toilet trained no chance of him wiping himself yet.

He tries brushing his own teeth and i let him but i always have a turn too.

Make his own bed.lol. He enjoys jumping on his bed i cant imagine him making it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my 7.5 y/o cant even really wash her own hair properly. Sure she suds it up and scrubs it around but she doesn't wash the shampoo/conditioner out properly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What can your 3 year old do?

My 3.5 yo can't do any of those things either.

If she did I may as well get her to make me a cuppa in the morning whilst she's at it.....

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (25-05-2016),GirlsRock  (25-05-2016),harvs  (25-05-2016),Stretched  (26-05-2016),witherwings  (01-06-2016),wobbleyhorse  (26-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Thanks lovelies, I thought as much! Certainly not 'normal' things in my world for sure. But it did get me thinking about at least helping him learn to dress himself...

I'm in total shock to think I could've been misinformed on the Internet!!

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-05-2016),MrsTugs  (26-05-2016),Tiny Dancer  (26-05-2016),witherwings  (01-06-2016),zoesmama  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as for trying to make her more independent I can't even go to the loo without her coming or putting her rubbish in the bin so I've got buckleys of getting her to make a bed or other chores

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd I put shampoo in and she washes it out good as she lays in bath for ages :/ lol

Teeth we struggle with it's still your turn my turn drives me insane!!!!

She wipes bum etc but wipes forward 😳 so I have to always correct so she doesn't get infections etc

She will make her bed, pick clothes toys put dishes in sink I don't like them touching dish washer as DS thinks it's game eg buttons.

They also feed the dog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.. DS tries to dress himself 'mummy go away!' and 'don't look at me!' is usually what he says before dressing himself... kinda.

He does a terrible job of brushing teeth. Definitely no bum cleaning (hehehehe). Hair - he tries. He suds up the back of his head and rinses some of it in the shower.

He helps out with dishwasher but it is supervision. He does small cleaning tasks like dusting and wiping tables. And has his own dustpan and brush.

So pretty much he tries to be independen. But definitely needs help.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-05-2016)