+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read your post and thought whoa!

In all seriousness, is not learning to feed yourself important for motor skills? Or will the child learn doing other things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    The maternal & child health nurse... There is a 2 year appointment - in VIC anyway.

Edit - my point was if there IS an issue with the feeding (not saying there is), I'd have thought the nurse would pick it up.
    I often wonder why the MCHN has never picked up on our neice's shocking junk food diet and the fact she's still being spoon fed. I reckon the mum either doesn't take her (they relocated back to Melb after living in Adelaide for a few years so I don't think the child would even be in our system??) or she's dishonest about what she's feeding her.

the child is very thin and a bit yellow looking. makes you wonder but not my bizzo to say anything really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I often wonder why the MCHN has never picked up on our neice's shocking junk food diet and the fact she's still being spoon fed. I reckon the mum either doesn't take her (they relocated back to Melb after living in Adelaide for a few years so I don't think the child would even be in our system??) or she's dishonest about what she's feeding her.

the child is very thin and a bit yellow looking. makes you wonder but not my bizzo to say anything really.
    You see then about once a year after they turn 18 months and then sometimes for only 10 minutes. Why would they pick it up?

A lot of kids don't have perfect diets for so many different reasons. Be hopeful or thankful it's different for your little boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My appointments have always been 30 minutes or longer. And I love my nurse. She has given me excellent guidance and advice IMO. Maybe I'm lucky to be in a good council with good nurses.

I was told to skip the purees all together and go straight to finger food. This wasn't an issue for us since DS hates being spoon fed.

But others in my mothers group were given different advice.

Sorry, don't mean to derail this into a discussion on nurses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    My appointments have always been 30 minutes or longer. And I love my nurse. She has given me excellent guidance and advice IMO. Maybe I'm lucky to be in a good council with good nurses.

I was told to skip the purees all together and go straight to finger food. This wasn't an issue for us since DS hates being spoon fed.

But others in my mothers group were given different advice.

Sorry, don't mean to derail this into a discussion on nurses.
    I've found they get shorter as the kids get older. But yep probably a discussion for another thread.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did you stop spoon feeding?

Derail away 😜

I didn't even have a 2 year check for dd1. The nurses actually said at 18 month check it's not necessary if you don't have any issues. And a parents idea of whether their kid has issues can vary greatly depending on your expectations, experience and knowledge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My eldest DD is over 3 and tbh I still spoon feed her sometimes. I hate it and she's capable of doing it herself but sometimes she just won't. This morning for instance I was breastfeeding the baby while sitting with her and encouraging her to eat her weetbix but she flat out refused until I spoon fed it to her. She will eat finger foods by herself although even then, she'll get easily distracted and eat 3 bites but if I sit with her and talk to her and pop it into her mouth she'll eat more. It's not an ideal situation, I wish she'd feed herself but we've always had feeding problems with her since day 1 so sometimes I just do whatever is easier. If my SIL said something to me I might get a bit offended. Her boys eat so well by themselves and I know we have a problem but I'm doing the best I can as I'm sure your SIL is and no one likes to be judged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    My eldest DD is over 3 and tbh I still spoon feed her sometimes. I hate it and she's capable of doing it herself but sometimes she just won't. This morning for instance I was breastfeeding the baby while sitting with her and encouraging her to eat her weetbix but she flat out refused until I spoon fed it to her. She will eat finger foods by herself although even then, she'll get easily distracted and eat 3 bites but if I sit with her and talk to her and pop it into her mouth she'll eat more. It's not an ideal situation, I wish she'd feed herself but we've always had feeding problems with her since day 1 so sometimes I just do whatever is easier. If my SIL said something to me I might get a bit offended. Her boys eat so well by themselves and I know we have a problem but I'm doing the best I can as I'm sure your SIL is and no one likes to be judged.
    I consider that to be different. She is given the opportunity to do it for herself. Sure, I don't know what happens behind closed doors but I did ask her awhile ago if she's ever let him do it and she said there would just be too much mess and she's not confident he can do it yet

But yeah, I'm 100% positive she means well. I would just love to bring him to our house for a week and let him run riot lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, I'm worried about what we're going to do when DS turns one and we have to stop giving him a bottle because he hates being spoon fed.

He feeds himself OK but I can't imagine he's getting enough calories in. Hopefully his dexterity improves in the next few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave DD the spoon at 12 months and she got the hang of it very quickly, so she was efficiently and cleanly feeding herself by about 13 months. 2.5 is way too old to be spoon fed. My kids could both eat soup without spilling any by that age.