+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fights daytime cot naps but sleeps well at night?

My 9 week old sleeps beautifully at night in his cot (7.30pm-6am with one wake up, most nights!) but the past few weeks he REALLY fights napping during the day at home. Naps in the stroller, car, Ergo carrier are all fine. But naps in his crib or bassinet are a daily battle.

I'll manage to get him down only if I rock him to sleep, but 25 minutes later he wakes up and screams the house down. He's definitely tired as his eyes start to close the instant I rock him.

I've also tried a white noise app which has worked well at getting him to fall asleep, but same problem after 20-25 minutes - he can't self settle. Weird since he obviously self-settles at night?? Another weird thing is that from birth - 6 weeks, he used to have no problem taking mammoth 2 hour naps in his bassinet.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice just wanted to say my dd only ever slept in the pram, car or her swing during the day. It was never an issue and actually gave me more flexibility to be out and about. Much like you she went down and slept wonderfully at night, good enough for me! I was terrified if I tried to force sleeping in the cot during the day I would somehow ruin the nights 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    No advice just wanted to say my dd only ever slept in the pram, car or her swing during the day. It was never an issue and actually gave me more flexibility to be out and about. Much like you she went down and slept wonderfully at night, good enough for me! I was terrified if I tried to force sleeping in the cot during the day I would somehow ruin the nights ������
    This HAS crossed my mind...why fight it if he is sleeping well at night? Trouble is I would love a nap myself during the day! Selfish of me I know

I also do worry about him getting over tried and super cranky...it doesn't happen often though, for the most part he seems quite happy despite not getting much day sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could he be going through leap two and just being a bit unsettled?

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is quite normal - sleep changes at around 8/9 weeks as babies become more aware of their environment and sleep cycles start developing. What you do is up to you and your parenting style, you can go with it and have naps in the carrier/pram etc. or persist with the cot settling. The cot settling is likely to involve a little crying ( I am in no way saying to use CC on a 9 week old) but there is likely to be some crying while you are settling as baby would prefer to be picked up and sleep in your arms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you keep the white noise on throughout the whole nap time? With my DD if it goes off she wakes.
    Also is bub over/under tired? How much wake time is he getting? He may be tired enough to catnap but not tired enough for a proper sleep. Try extending the wake time and giving good tummy time and interaction to tire him out. An overtired baby will also wake early.
    But yay lucky you for the night sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 never slept more than one sleep cycle ( 40 mins) in the day... but 12hrs per night from 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Do you keep the white noise on throughout the whole nap time? With my DD if it goes off she wakes.
    Also is bub over/under tired? How much wake time is he getting? He may be tired enough to catnap but not tired enough for a proper sleep. Try extending the wake time and giving good tummy time and interaction to tire him out. An overtired baby will also wake early.
    But yay lucky you for the night sleep!
    I'll add that my DD catnapped from 6 weeks til 5 months. Nothing I did helped and then she magically started having 1.5hr naps so I think it is also developmental for some babies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear it is all very normal.

Yes, I keep the white noise app on throughout the whole sleep - but I've found often it doesn't seem to help, he'll wake after 25-30 minutes anyway! He DID nap for about 1.5 hours about a week ago, but nothing that long since.

I did wonder if he wasn't "tired enough" to sleep, but I've tried awake times ranging from 45 minutes - 2 hours. I assume he IS tired as he starts closing his eyes as soon as I start rocking him?

I'm hesitant to start practicing self settling with his day naps as his nights are so good...if it ain't broke...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Welcome to the club! 😂

Both my boys have been like this. DS1 (day) napped only 20 mins until he was 5 months old (just extended his sleeps on his own suddenly).

Ds2 (now 12 weeks old) is proving similar. We have had a few random longer sleeps in the pram. But generally, it's 20 min day naps only up to 6 X per day. He favors the pram, ergo and we have had a few car naps too. I have managed to get a few cot naps in but it's much harder and this is only in recent weeks.

It's pretty common and normal. You can try and see if anything works but there may well be nothing you can do.