+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sounds like your presence is your bubs aid when falling asleep. And when you are not there through the night bub wakes. You are doing a great job (especially in between school runs!). Unless you are able to stay with bub throughout the night/all naps I think you have to break that sleep association. Easier said than done when you are by yourself though. Does bub have a cloth/teddy comforter?
    Yea it's definitely me that's the problem. He's very clingy and such a mummies boy. I just don't know how to help him settle without me without him becoming a screaming mess.
    I'm trying to introduce a comforter. I was using a teddy today but he didn't want a bar of it. We have one of teddy heads attached to a muslin cloth (does that make sense) & I have that to him tonight instead and he seems to be more likely to take to that, so I'll persist with giving him that I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Sorry you are going through all this. Motherhood is a bloody tough gig!!!
    I don't think I can give you any quick fixes but just a few little tips that might help a little....
    At your bubs age don't forget to talk to him. About everything! So stuff like when introducing the comforter remember to say "this is your very special new toy. He is so special that you never have to share him. He is going to go to sleep with you from now on. He will always be with you and help you sleep- blah blah blah". I also talk to my kids before I put them to bed and tell them what you want. So like "mummy is putting to bed bed now and I want you to have a lovely long sleep. Is you wake up I want you to snuggle comforter and try to go back to sleep". I know some people think it's odd to talk to a baby like this but in my experience it can really help baby understand what is being asked of them.
    Also I wonder if you bub is cold. My DD is a few months older and she sleeps in a long sleeve bodysuit with long arm and leg pj's over the top. Her room is heated to 22 degrees and Then she is in a 2.5 tog sleeping bag with a number of layers of blankets over the top. I think many mums underestimate how easy it is for babies to get cold.
    Good luck. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Yea it's definitely me that's the problem. He's very clingy and such a mummies boy. I just don't know how to help him settle without me without him becoming a screaming mess.
    I'm trying to introduce a comforter. I was using a teddy today but he didn't want a bar of it. We have one of teddy heads attached to a muslin cloth (does that make sense) & I have that to him tonight instead and he seems to be more likely to take to that, so I'll persist with giving him that I think.
    Go with the tedd head with the cloth. Use it at every sleep time (regardless of car/pram/cot). Only use it at sleep time. Shove it down your chest first so it has your smell. Wait at least 2 weeks before you give up - it can take that long for a bond to form. But when it happens it will be a beautiful thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi. Sorry you are going through all this. Motherhood is a bloody tough gig!!!
    I don't think I can give you any quick fixes but just a few little tips that might help a little....
    At your bubs age don't forget to talk to him. About everything! So stuff like when introducing the comforter remember to say "this is your very special new toy. He is so special that you never have to share him. He is going to go to sleep with you from now on. He will always be with you and help you sleep- blah blah blah". I also talk to my kids before I put them to bed and tell them what you want. So like "mummy is putting to bed bed now and I want you to have a lovely long sleep. Is you wake up I want you to snuggle comforter and try to go back to sleep". I know some people think it's odd to talk to a baby like this but in my experience it can really help baby understand what is being asked of them.
    Also I wonder if you bub is cold. My DD is a few months older and she sleeps in a long sleeve bodysuit with long arm and leg pj's over the top. Her room is heated to 22 degrees and Then she is in a 2.5 tog sleeping bag with a number of layers of blankets over the top. I think many mums underestimate how easy it is for babies to get cold.
    Good luck. Xxx
    Thanks for these tips - I will try talking to him more about bed time - it's not odd at all. I talk to him about everything else during the day so why not that. Last night I put him to bed wearing a fleecy onesie, some cotton pjs over the top and a nice thick sleeping bag (not sure of the togs) plus blankets - but he kicks those off. I will have to have to go out and buy so flannelette pjs/sheets and a couple of extra blankets with winter rolling in.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Go with the tedd head with the cloth. Use it at every sleep time (regardless of car/pram/cot). Only use it at sleep time. Shove it down your chest first so it has your smell. Wait at least 2 weeks before you give up - it can take that long for a bond to form. But when it happens it will be a beautiful thing
    I will definitely persist with the comforter. Last night he fell asleep feeding. Not ideal but he was so exhausted. He woke up twice before I went to bed and I just patted him back to sleep in his cot. After that i heard him stir at around 12, but he settled himself back to sleep. And he's only just woken now at 7am. I don't know where the hell that sleep came from - pure exhaustion most likely. But I feel like a different human this morning.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-05-2016),SuperGranny  (26-05-2016)