+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,210
    Thanks
    2,039
    Thanked
    1,911
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default When to worry about movement?

    Just wondering at what gestation lack of movement becomes a concern?

    I'm 24 weeks and bub is usually very active, pretty much kicks up a storm on a predictable 3 hourly schedule. He's been very quiet today though. Still a few small movements though.
    But I know up to a certain point the amount of movement you feel can depend on bubs position.

    Is it only late 3rd trimester that its a cause for concern if bub's movement decreases?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,942
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked
    2,297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Just wondering at what gestation lack of movement becomes a concern?

    I'm 24 weeks and bub is usually very active, pretty much kicks up a storm on a predictable 3 hourly schedule. He's been very quiet today though. Still a few small movements though.
    But I know up to a certain point the amount of movement you feel can depend on bubs position.

    Is it only late 3rd trimester that its a cause for concern if bub's movement decreases?
    Could be a quiet day.

    Have you actively tried to get bub to move? Drink something sweet/cold and lie down for a bit. Also is placenta anterior or posterior? If anterior bub could just be curled up near your back.

    If you can't feel any movement after actively trying maybe call your ob if you are still worried.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,210
    Thanks
    2,039
    Thanked
    1,911
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Could be a quiet day.

    Have you actively tried to get bub to move? Drink something sweet/cold and lie down for a bit. Also is placenta anterior or posterior? If anterior bub could just be curled up near your back.

    If you can't feel any movement after actively trying maybe call your ob if you are still worried.
    I've had a cold drink and lie down and had a couple of very small movements. Placenta is posterior.

    I'll see how he's going tomorrow, he usually wakes me up around 2am by kicking me really hard! Otherwise I'll give my OB a call.

    Just feeling a bit worried/anxious as I've had to take panadeine forte for sciatic pain (couldn't walk yesterday!). It just makes me worried that it will harm him somehow... 😕

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,942
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked
    2,297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I've had a cold drink and lie down and had a couple of very small movements. Placenta is posterior.

    I'll see how he's going tomorrow, he usually wakes me up around 2am by kicking me really hard! Otherwise I'll give my OB a call.

    Just feeling a bit worried/anxious as I've had to take panadeine forte for sciatic pain (couldn't walk yesterday!). It just makes me worried that it will harm him somehow... 😕
    Those meds are safe for pregnancy. Although I totally understand the feelings you are having.

    Hope you get kicked non stop tonight

    They always seem to like doing that when we are trying to sleep!

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-05-2016)

  7. #5
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You poor thing :-( I lost so much sleep worrying about movement. I went in to my local hospy so many times to get put on the monitor - I'm sure they mentally rolled their eyes every time I walked in.

    I think there are some kick counter apps. Otherwise if you're worried go and get checked out Hun. I really don't think panadeine forte could have done anything but the worry over it is so stressful I know x

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to have really active days followed by a day or two of inactivity/small movements. it used to be very stressful, so much so that I bought a Doppler that I used from time to time to reassure myself. I know that's not recommended btw so not implying anyone should do this.

    I reckon my ds got a bit quieter, esp towards the end. it used to freak me out terribly.

    if you're concerned, phone the hospital/your OB and get monitored. it's the only way to get peace of mind. it's a bit of a pain in the rear but you'll feel better so it's worth making a fuss.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh and the cold drink thing never worked for me!! just putting it out there for anyone that tries it and doesn't get much of a response! I did it a few times and nothing.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,173
    Thanks
    1,266
    Thanked
    2,578
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Any change in baby's movement is worth getting checked out. 10 movements in 2hrs is considered ok by the Stillbirth foundation. If you've had a rest and a cold sweet drink and you still aren't getting movements like you normally would, call your hospital and get checked out. A decrease in fetal movements is usually the first sign that tells us something is wrong, which is why it is so important to trust your instincts. Majority of the time women will come in, be monitored on the CTG and their baby will become an acrobat. It's better to present a dozen times in your pregnancy and be reassured than to do nothing and have worst case scenario.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (24-05-2016),Frankenmum  (24-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Thanks
    995
    Thanked
    553
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP i really don't want to alarm you, but if you are ever concerned with lack of movement please go in and get checked. I learnt the hard way with this and lost our angel 7 weeks ago at 29 weeks gestation. I still haven't forgiven myself for not going in sooner, even though it may have already been too late for me. Again i don't want to scare you, but please if you are truly concerned, there is only 1 thing that you need to do.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (24-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,210
    Thanks
    2,039
    Thanked
    1,911
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    OP i really don't want to alarm you, but if you are ever concerned with lack of movement please go in and get checked. I learnt the hard way with this and lost our angel 7 weeks ago at 29 weeks gestation. I still haven't forgiven myself for not going in sooner, even though it may have already been too late for me. Again i don't want to scare you, but please if you are truly concerned, there is only 1 thing that you need to do.
    I'm so so sorry for your loss, there are no words


 

Similar Threads

  1. Can't help but worry TIA
    By WinterJade in forum First Trimester Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-04-2016, 17:12
  2. When should I worry?
    By Hasselhoff in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-01-2016, 23:26
  3. Would you worry?
    By Cue in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30-09-2015, 15:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Vibe Natural Health
Your natural health care team for fertility, pregnancy, post natal and family health care. Our Naturopaths, Doctors, Osteopaths, Acupuncturists, Psychologists,Nutritionists, Pilates, & Massage specialise in women & children's health and wellbeing.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!