+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice/Opinions needed - Flying with a Newborn

Hi all, sorry if this is not in the right section

We have just found out we are pregnant ....still very early days at 5 weeks so anything could happen but fingers crossed all goes well! I have an opportunity to see family when bubs could potentially be around 4-5 weeks old but we'd need to fly. Obviously I need to take everything into consideration i.e. possible c-section recovery, baby's sleep patterns etc.... it's a shorthaul flight of approx 4hrs but it's a 'red eye flight' leaving at around midnight.

Being a first time Mum am I completely mad to contemplate it?? I would really love your advice/opinions thanks!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Advice/Opinions needed - Flying with a Newborn

I personally wouldn't but that's just me. bubs hasn't had their vax and planes are notorious germ tubes. I also think a lot of people expect to sleep/have quiet time on a red eye and a potentially crying bub might annoy a lot of people. not that that should be a consideration, but it may be a factor if you're someone who gets anxious/upset putting others out. like if bubs starts screaming and people get antsy, would you feel anxious? I know I prob would and so it would be a deciding factor for me.

all that said, a lady in my DIG just flew with a 5 week old (flight was only about an hour though).

congrats on the pregnancy!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

onedaymaybebaby  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The flying part wouldn't worry me as such but as turquoisecoast said, the part about bub not being old enough to be vaxxed yet would. Could you delay the trip a couple of weeks until baby has had his/her first lot of vaccinations? You can have the first lot at 6 weeks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

onedaymaybebaby  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! Very good points to consider! It never dawned on me re the vacc situation! Will definitely be delaying our trip! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew with my son when he was just on 6 weeks and few days after his vac, he slept the entire time in my arms but fed during take off and landing as they recommend for their ears equalising. Didn't have an issue at all but the flights weren't booked until he was 4 weeks, it was only a short flight of just over 2hours. Like other posters have said I'd wait til bubs has had their first lot of shots after 6 wks and maybe not book flights until bubs is born like as you said you may could have a c-sec. Hope everything goes well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I flew when my second baby was 4 weeks old all the way to the UK. It was actually very easy. At that age they just feed and sleep. No problem at all. Now my almost 2 yr old was a whole different ball game! I would happily fly with a newborn again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew with a 6 week old just after she had her vax. No dramas at all. It was a 5 hr flight. Much easier than flying with an older baby. Once they are eating mainly solid food and wanting to move about it gets a bit tricky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew with my 10 day old (after a c/section) and again with her at 3&4 weeks. She slept the whole way through all 3 flights so it was a breeze. I do recommend a sling to put baby in for the flight and juggling the entering/exiting the plane and the airport, they won't let you use it for take off and landing though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew interstate (4 hr flight) when Bub was 3 weeks old. Baby slept most of flight. I went to Asia(8 hr flight)for 2 months straight after she had had her 6 wk vaccinations. Doctor said to wait 3 days after vac before flying in case of a reaction. I was more concerned with only minimally vaccinated baby coming into contact with mostly unvaccinated locals in third world countries., so Bub was always under a mosquito net so people were not able to touch her and make her sick. It is a lot easier flying with a baby who is not mobile than a toddler. I had taken approx 15 flights with mine before she turned 6 months and would do any of these again compared to flying with my 18 month old. Hope this helps. I would definitely take a baby carrier with you too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I flew last year with a 4wk old, 3&5yo interstate solo. The 4wk old was the easiest.