+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I would consider a baby that's waking 3-4 times a night not to be sleeping well.
    That's every 2-3 hours.

I'm not selfish for considering it more than annoyance and just "dealing with it".

(Eta: just to clarify we are not discussing newborns here)
    sorry I should've clarified before opening my mouth lol, I'm talking babies 3-4 months old. or younger. actually I'm really just having a b.tch about some of the stuff I see at mothers group, if I'm brutally honest.

I know you've personally had a very tough trot and I would try anything if I were in your position too. definitely didn't intend to cause you any upset x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did it with DD and am not surprised with the findings. Would definitely do it again if I had more kids.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (24-05-2016),Redcorset  (28-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm... well I could not do it with DS. I also did not want to do it. He was a screamer if you put him down. He did not stop. Woke regularly umtil after 2. He sleeps through now at 3 except if he wets the bed/has a bad dream/is scared. I honestly did not believe it would ever happen. I remembered reading people.say their child was a terrible sleeper but now they sleep etc etc and I cried as I did not believe it would happen to me.

DD is only 6 weeks and has spent at least a week of her life outside with a horrible cold/virus so I cannot comment on her sleep.

She is loads calmer than DS in general though but still am not tempted to let her cry and train her to sleep overnight.

So pretty much do what works. This study will not change my mind or feelings about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Very easy to say when you have a good sleeper.
    It is clear you have NO IDEA how tortuous and soul crushing chronic sleep deprivation is.
    Bravo and thank you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 was not a great sleeper yet dd2 was a dream. I'd like to say I wouldn't do it but in the hour of desperation I'd probably try what I could just to actually try and make things better. Chronic sleep deprivation affects everyone the parents the baby then overflow affect of little patience for siblings. So yeah.. Hard to say until faced with the decision though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We reluctantly ended up at sleep school. I almost had a nervous breakdown from anxiety (seriously, the nurses were worried), but DS did really well.

I really didn't want to go, it went against every fibre of being, but after 8 months of broken co-sleeping, and 20 minute naps, something had to give.

It was a very gentle approach and I could go in as needed. He was sleeping through the 2nd nights, and napping better.

We still have ups and downs, he's gotten 3 teeth in 3 weeks plus a cold so I've been up every other night. But overall he is getting heaps more sleep overall. He's a different kid.

Should say I never could have done it at home alone. We needed professional support.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a two year old that still wakes 2 to 12 times a night (gets a little violent sometimes) and I am now at a point where I'm trying to convince myself that sleep school isn't as bad as I think it may be. I just keep hoping that tonight will be the night she starts sleeping through or at least goes back to sleep easily.

My main concern with sleep training isn't emotional or attachment but the long term effects of elevated Cortisol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone please copy and paste the article? Or give me the authors of the actual study? I can't access the article without subscribing.

Edit - nevermind, I think I found it, it's almost identical to one they published a few years ago.
    No this doesn't change my opinion at all, as I've said before - nothing we do with our children is a black and white guarantee of an outcome. Everything has an associated risk and all this has shown is that the risk of long-term harm from CC is relatively low for this group of 15 children. But it's still not a risk I would personally choose to take, nor something that should be routinely recommended for all children.
    Last edited by deku; 24-05-2016 at 20:47.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (24-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Controlled Crying study

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about sleep training! Other topics I get why they are so emotive but this one i really just don't care..?

In response to the specific question, the study doesn't change my mind. I'd rather not use CC but I tried it as a last resort and don't feel bad about doing so. It didn't improve DDs sleeping habits though 😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I honestly don't know what the fuss is about sleep training! Other topics I get why they are so emotive but this one i really just don't care..?
    If one thinks that leaving an infant alone to cry is cruel and causes them undue suffering, then it becomes a rather emotive topic.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2016),twinklify  (24-05-2016)