+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Controlled Crying study

No, it's just not what I feel comfortable with , it's like me telling VP leaving your child at its grandparents for 2 days has no long term effect on kids, she still wouldn't do it as it's just not what she feels comfortable with (😜)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Very easy to say when you have a good sleeper.
    It is clear you have NO IDEA how tortuous and soul crushing chronic sleep deprivation is.
    did you not see the bit where I said I understand doing it for those parents whose bubs are very difficult sleepers?

I'm talking people with bubs who sleep well but choose to tinker with their sleeping to suit themselves (i.e. sleeping through the night without waking).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

MrsTugs  (26-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    im not familiar with SoS (that's tizzie hall isn't it?) except that I've heard it's quite strict, militant really.

a few mums in my mothers group keep tinkering with their babies' sleeping and honestly, it just bothers me. babies will wake through the night, that's what they're supposed to do!

I get people who have very difficult babies that will not settle may have a much harder go of it and so I do reserve judgement for these parents, I think people who choose to tinker and tweak their child's sleeping patterns in a bid to make their own life easy are selfish. if your kid wakes 2, 3, 4 times in a night, deal with it. yes it's annoying but honestly, what did you expect.

(I'm talking the collective you btw, not you specifically) 😊
    Yes, Tizzie Hall. It was the first baby sleep book that I picked up and I was naïve to the hatred for her 😂
    I don't think the routine itself is that different to more gentle sleep books that others have posted about here, but a lot of her methods and advice are pretty warped.

For dd1, it was about curbing cat napping during the day.
    Dd2 was just a terrible sleeper in general and she was so unhappy, plus I think I was suffering pnd because of her arrival, and I started sleep training with her in the hopes it would help us both... which it did, immensely!
    I was lucky that both girls started sleeping right through the night as a result of tweaking their day sleeps. In our case, the saying 'sleep produces sleep' holds true.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Very easy to say when you have a good sleeper.
    It is clear you have NO IDEA how tortuous and soul crushing chronic sleep deprivation is.
    Maybe but sleep deprivation doesn't always change your mind. My DS was a terrible sleeper, didn't sleep through for years, woke ever 2 hours round the clock. I still didn't want to do controlled crying.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    did you not see the bit where I said I understand doing it for those parents whose bubs are very difficult sleepers?

I'm talking people with bubs who sleep well but choose to tinker with their sleeping to suit themselves (i.e. sleeping through the night without waking).
    One thing I've learned on bh is that we all have different levels that we can handle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Maybe but sleep deprivation doesn't always change your mind. My DS was a terrible sleeper, didn't sleep through for years, woke ever 2 hours round the clock. I still didn't want to do controlled crying.
    In LMS' defense, TC wasn't exclusively talking about CC.

. I also think sleep training is unkind. let babies be the guide, why should we be forcing our regimented, clock watching adult schedules onto such tiny humans? so no, it doesn't make me any more inclined to try it.
    I get people who have very difficult babies that will not settle may have a much harder go of it and so I do reserve judgement for these parents, I think people who choose to tinker and tweak their child's sleeping patterns in a bid to make their own life easy are selfish. if your kid wakes 2, 3, 4 times in a night, deal with it. yes it's annoying but honestly, what did you expect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Would this make you more willing to try CC? Or feel less opposed in your thoughts of those that do?
    No. Had this study been published when my kids were babies it would not have changed my stance. I had a child who would become so distressed he would start vomiting if I left him alone for any length of time.

I have a feeling that studies such as this are inherently flawed. The only parents who would persevere with methods such as CC are those whose children respond well to it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (24-05-2016),Silver flute  (24-05-2016),Tiny Dancer  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't do CIO, it's just in my nature to comfort my baby/child when it's crying. Hell, I even feel the need to comfort another adult when they're crying!

But I did leave DS to have a bit of a grizzle cry (I beleive its called a protest cry) for a couple of minutes as a bub. The type of cry that you know there's nothing wrong, they just want cuddles. But if I tried to cuddle DS to sleep he would get SO ridiculously over stimulated that he just wouldn't sleep! So letting him have a little grizzle was the only option, and 99.9% of the time he'd be asleep within minutes.

We were very lucky that he was such a good sleeper.

I don't judge those that try CIO or CC as I haven't walked in their shoes. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture. It's used to psychologically break people! So you gotta do what you gotta do in order to get some sleep (so long as bub is safe, fed & dry).

I do admit that I sometimes question parents (internally, I'd never say it to them) who complain that their baby wakes every 30 mins to 1 hour overnight, they're not coping, they're not getting any sleep, they're a mental and physical wreck, yet they refuse to do anything to help their baby's sleeping, and insist on continuing to try to feed and cuddle to sleep, even though that's not working...then 3 years later are still complaining that their child won't sleep and is still co-sleeping 😨😨 I can't help but be a little exasperated by that! If you're not coping and what you're doing isn't working, why not try something else? Of course if you're happy with the status quo, then that's all good.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 24-05-2016 at 17:54.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I had a child who would become so distressed he would start vomiting if I left him alone for any length of time.
    According to Tizzie, that's your baby manipulating you and you shouldn't buy in to it 😔

17. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

PipersMummy  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Controlled Crying study

I would consider a baby that's waking 3-4 times a night not to be sleeping well.
    That's every 2-3 hours.

I'm not selfish for considering it more than annoyance and just "dealing with it".

(Eta: just to clarify we are not discussing newborns here)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-05-2016 at 18:13.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (24-05-2016),BettyW  (25-05-2016),ChatlotteA  (25-05-2016),cheeeeesecake  (24-05-2016),nh2489  (24-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (24-05-2016),Soon2be4  (24-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)