+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    State schools. It's so wrong that that some Principals make them start in grade 1. To quote one Principal that I spoke to, he said "I'm not into making kids struggle". The difference between my daughter at the start of prep and grade 1 was huge, the expectations from her teacher were also quite high.
    Yes I agree. I found it strange that we couldn't delay around here but fortunately my son is an October birthday so he was firmly age 5! Feel bad for those who have an issue though, and their catchment school won't delay

Thanks
    Reviews
    I vaguely remember hearing something about prep finally becoming compulsory in QLD soon? Hopefully that happens so it won't be an issue.

So lucky where I live, there's a few schools with catchments but if get in early enough (only a year though so nothing OTT) you can pick where you want to go really easily. The majority though don't even have enrolment management plans/catchments. Well I guess they probably do in a sense, but it's a non issue here. I'd hate to have catchment issues to deal with!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 4/5 is too young for school (I think 5/6 is too young too).. Wait til he's older.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really think it depends on the child, DS has 2 friends in his class who turned 5 this year, one in feb and one in March, the Feb one really struggled first term whereas the March one was just as enthusiastic and ready as DS ( he turned 5 in October last year) our school has a April 30 cut off , as mentioned only 2 out of the 19 boys just turned 5 , the rest are all turning 6 this year

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so frustrating how different states have different cut offs!!! Last I checked it was 30 June here in QLD (as it briefly changed to July at some point last year). So there's me thinking a Feb birthday isn't too bad but I guess it is if the cut off is April in other states!
    My 5yo was certainly ready for school and has thrived. It's so much easier dropping him off than at kindy (daycare). He loves it. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think state schools in NSW are still end of July ( which I think is too long ) but our school ( private) is April

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son turned 5 in March. We are in Vic.
    I sent him to kinder last year. Everyone was saying he was ready.
    Middle of term 1 i caught up with the teacher (i was curious) and asked on his progress. He was also borderline.
    As the year went on it was obvious to me that he wasn't ready. His peers we're drawing and writing and my son barely drew a circle or line. He was off with the fairies at group time and a few other things.

We made the decision for him to repeat kinder this year and it was definitely the best choice. He is so much more mature and He is now writing and starting to draw pictures etc.

His teacher initially made the process of applying for a second year of kinder very long and tedious however It was not as bad as it was made to sound.

Ds2 is april and he won't go to kinder until he is 4 turning 5. And prep at 5 turning 6

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    State schools. It's so wrong that that some Principals make them start in grade 1. To quote one Principal that I spoke to, he said "I'm not into making kids struggle". The difference between my daughter at the start of prep and grade 1 was huge, the expectations from her teacher were also quite high.
    This is definitely not something that happens in NSW. If you don't send your child to school the year they turn 5 then they still start the first year of school the following year, not go into year 1.