+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should we get a second car?

We need to get a bigger car.

Options are:

1. Keep partners ute (he needs this for work). It's 5 seats so when we all go out (theirs 6 of us) we have to do two trips or have someone eg his mum or dad, pick one or two kids up. Get a second family car with 6-8 seats, he can keep his ute for work and when we go out as a family we can all fit.

2. Get a 6/7 seater ute/truck (sell his current ute), but then we would only hsve one car, we only hsve one car now..

Pros of having two cars is I and the kids will be able to do more things, go more places in the day, not hsve to rely on getting a lift or use public transport all the time.

Cons of having two cars is the cost. Partners ute is paid off, but it would mean two regos, two lots of insurance, petrol etc

Pros of having one car would be saving money obviously, more excercise for me.

Partner works three (5 hour) days a week so he's home a lot..

Financially we really can't afford a second car, though it would be ideal. BUT...I don't know...

Help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you can't afford it don't do it. I totally understand the convenience of having a second car however rego, insurance, petrol, servicing, maintenance X 2 adds up fast.

I would however be inclined to upgrade your car to one which can seat all of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try and upgrade your current car to a car that can seat all of you first especially as you own the other outright so can use what you sell it for as a good starting point

and if your still feeling you need a second car after that then get one then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou.. We are at a car yard now looking at 6/7 seater utes. Hoping to get one within the next month.

Later on I could always get a cheap second hand one if need be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you look at converting your hubbies ute to a 6 seater? Don't have to worry about new cars or spending more money than what's necessary. I bought hubby a new ute then found a bench seat and had it modified to fit our family of 6. Took the 2 front bucket seats out and bench seat went in, was so handy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure. How much did that cost? We have a Hilux ute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All up cost $2500. Cheapest part was a second hand bench seat, most expensive was having the seat done in leather. Other than that we had to have the handbrake moved and a modification for handbrake and extra seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Do you plan on having more kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe in a few years..

Thanks
    Reviews
    How can you get a 7 seater ute?
    I couldn't imagine only having one car but then my husband works a lot more hrs then yours. If your ute is newish and reliable I'd probably just get a bench seat put in it to convert to 6 seats we did that with our traveling landcruiser so we were able to have a draw system and fridge in the back best decision we made.