+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    I understand that you were only trying to be supportive for sure, and that you are not anti formula or anything like that. I'm sorry you had a tough journey too!

I guess to me there is a difference between encouraging someone who is on the fence over whether to bf, or supporting and encouraging someone who really wants to bf but is having trouble...and trying to encourage someone who has made up their mind not too. The OP had stated several times she didn't wish to bf, and was concerned that others would question her decision, and wanted advice on how to stand her ground.

Perhaps I am too sensitive on this issue, apologies.

Anyway, sorry to derail!
    fair enough. maybe I interpreted the OP's post a little!

my point was, don't discount something before you've tried it. you just never know, you may like it. how is that pressure?

I guess I'm someone who will try anything once. if I hate it, at least I know I tried it.

I guess not everyone is the same and that's fine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Patience86  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My epidural/ spinal combo didn't hurt if ur thinking about that, it was freaking me that big needle but I don't even think it hurt as much as a tetanus needle. As I had a Caesar (elective) there were no labour pains distracting me. I'm sure it's anaesthetist skill dependant but mine was fine, so was my friends, but she was 7cm and struggling to keep still so she thought she didn't notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't even feel them putting the epidural in, but like i said earlier i was already 6/7cm when they put it in so was already in a lot of pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my epidural didn't hurt per say, but I had strange sensations flash through my body as it took effect. I had a sensation of icy water being poured over my shoulder as it was going in and then my left leg jerked and kicked a couple of times by itself lol

after that I was comfortably numb.

the massive downside to the epi is being immobile. I hated it (although was already largely immobile due to the ctg monitoring I was required to have so figured if I had to be immobile, I may as well be pain-free as well), you can't move at all and you have a catheter too. I could feel the amniotic fluid seeping out of me (they put a pad against my private parts but it wasn't doing all that much) so I felt like a big oaf just laying there strapped to the bed and stewing in my own juices. it wasn't really the nicest of feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    My epidural/ spinal combo didn't hurt if ur thinking about that, it was freaking me that big needle but I don't even think it hurt as much as a tetanus needle. As I had a Caesar (elective) there were no labour pains distracting me. I'm sure it's anaesthetist skill dependant but mine was fine, so was my friends, but she was 7cm and struggling to keep still so she thought she didn't notice.
    I am a bit worried about that too, like not being able to push. I don't want them to use the forceps on me because I've heard so many horror stories about it. I think I am going to stick with the epi though, seems like the best type of pain relief as I have a low tolerance for pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlozzalove View Post
    I am a bit worried about that too, like not being able to push. I don't want them to use the forceps on me because I've heard so many horror stories about it. I think I am going to stick with the epi though, seems like the best type of pain relief as I have a low tolerance for pain
    Labour is a big unknown and unpredictable. Yes sometimes things go wrong but they are in the minority.

I do not know anyone who had a failed epidural. I do not know anyone who has had forceps or vacuum.

I do know people that have had unplanned csections due to the labour not progressing.

With the epi - just see how you go. Labour hurts (I am not going to say it is painless) but the pain is so different than anything else. There are so many other pain relief options to try as well.

I do encourage you to read Birth Skills. It has info on pain and different ways to manage it.

Don't get scared about labour. Yes, read up and be informed but try not to get caught up in what *might* happen now.

And good luck. Pregnancy, labour, birth and parenting are insanely hard but definitely rewarding

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up with a forceps delivery- something I was petrified about prior to birth. It saved me from a c-section which was great. At that point I was exhausted, so when the head of obstetrics mentioned forceps I was just wanting my baby here, so I didn't really have time to think twice! She was out about 2 mins after.

Hoping you have a good birth and have no need for intervention other than the epi, but just do your research on them and know the pros and cons and know it can lead to more intervention.