+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour questions

So I'm quite frightened about going into labour and I have a few questions which I hope you lovely people would be able to help me to answer. How do you know your going into labour? Is an epidural a good choice? How do you firmly tell the midwives that you want to bottle feed and not breast feed? Is there a pill you can get to stop the breast milk? Thankyou (:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Labour questions

knowing you're in labour - it hurts. quite a lot. there may also be discharge/loss of mucus plug/bloody show and/or waters breaking. you call the hospital when you suspect you might be starting labour and they'll tell you what to do.

epidural - I got to 6cm before getting one. the relief was amazing. I personally felt like it was the easy way out and cheating as I did want a natural birth bug due to other interventions, the epi was necessary and I ultimately ended up with an emergency cs so it would've gone that way for me anyway!

breastfeeding - any particular reason you're decided on bottle feeding? the cleaning of the bottles is a huge pain in the rear. I'm currently breast and bottle feeding. after the initial struggle to learn how to BF, I find it much easier than bottle feeding. less faffing around. I choose not to feed in public however so take a bottle with me when we go out. re telling the midwives, I think you'd just pack the bottles, teats & formula in your hospital bag and feed that way. the midwives can't question you or try to convince you otherwise. yes there's a pill you can take to stop your milk coming in. my bil's wife had it as she refused to BF as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Chlozzalove  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can help with a few.

Labour starts differently for everyone. Generally it is contractions that are consistent. Prelabour generally they are not as consistent or die off. Some signs that you may get before labour is your body 'clearing out'. Sometimes you get a bloody show or see parts of your plug.

The pain varies for everyone. My first started with back pain. Some people have period like cramps. Some have cramps higher in the belly.

I never had an epidural. I would suggest speaking to your care provider about pain relief. They can go through pros/cons.

My hospital asked if I was BF or bottlefeeding on admission. I BF but they did not seem to have any issue eiher way.

Not sure about milk but if you don't BF you will not get milk.

Also, don't be scared of labour or going into labour. I suggest watching some labour videos and maybe reading a book called Birth Skills.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I my experience going into labour was confusing. I had 2 induced then a spontaneous (followed by another one induced) so the one time I "went into" labour I didn't know for hours. It was about 12 hours before I realised. I just thought I overdid it moving furniture around that day. The advantage was, I was really close to pushing by the time I figured it out and went to hospital. But when I knew, I knew. My biggest sign was I jumped in a warm shower to relax that painful braxton hicks and they didn't go away. In fact about half an hour later, they got down to 3 minutes apart so I figured I would go to the hospital.

I don't know about the epidural as I never had one.

In my experience, midwives can be quite pushy with breastfeeding. Even when it was my forth and I told them it just was not going to work, just like it didn't for the previous 3. But just tell them you are bottle feeding and that's the end of it. I'm not sure of your reasons but just explain it to them and say you've made your mind up. I'm not sure about the pill. I just put up with the horrible sore breasts for a week or so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour questions

I think everyone had covered the labour bit, so just wanted to give advice on the feeding.

Speak to the midwives first and let them know you'll be bottle feeding, so you know what's required at your particular hospital.

When my dd was born the hospital made up tiny disposable bottles of formula for us, I can't remember if we we took our formula or if we used what they had. They was no dramas with them doing that for me, and I only encountered one idiot mw. That was in a public hospital.

Just last week I had my booking appointment at a private hospital for dd2, I've to take my own formula as they don't have the one I'll be using and they take care of making it up for me in the same disposable bottles.

In the even they won't do the above, you'll have to think about taking bottles and a steriliser so suss out of there is space for this or a microwave available for your use, you'll also be very reliant on your partner if this is the case. But I am sure you'll be fine 😀

ETA: I wasn't given or offered a pill to stop my milk and it came on on about day 3, I wore pads and a super tight sports bra and it was gone within a few days. I think this time I will ask my OB for something.
    Last edited by PinkTutu; 23-05-2016 at 19:44.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkTutu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    knowing you're in labour - it hurts. quite a lot. there may also be discharge/loss of mucus plug/bloody show and/or waters breaking. you call the hospital when you suspect you might be starting labour and they'll tell you what to do.

epidural - I got to 6cm before getting one. the relief was amazing. I personally felt like it was the easy way out and cheating as I did want a natural birth bug due to other interventions, the epi was necessary and I ultimately ended up with an emergency cs so it would've gone that way for me anyway!

breastfeeding - any particular reason you're decided on bottle feeding? the cleaning of the bottles is a huge pain in the rear. I'm currently breast and bottle feeding. after the initial struggle to learn how to BF, I find it much easier than bottle feeding. less faffing around. I choose not to feed in public however so take a bottle with me when we go out. re telling the midwives, I think you'd just pack the bottles, teats & formula in your hospital bag and feed that way. the midwives can't question you or try to convince you otherwise. yes there's a pill you can take to stop your milk coming in. my bil's wife had it as she refused to BF as well.
    Thankyou! I can't breastfeed as I'm low on too many things and my baby wouldn't get everything it needs and also I don't feel comfortable doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlozzalove View Post
    I can't breastfeed as I'm low on too many things and my baby wouldn't get everything it needs.
    That isnt necessarily true. Our bodies seem to love giving others what they need before us (and we seem to continue doing that as a mother!).

When pregnant baby gets the best of everything before us. The same happens with breastfeeding.

But you are doing what is right for you and bub and that is looking after your health and keeping bub fed, happy and healthy.

That is something you can always say to anyone who gives you a hard time of bottlefeeding over breastfeeding

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Labour questions

Quote Originally Posted by Chlozzalove View Post
    Thankyou! I can't breastfeed as I'm low on too many things and my baby wouldn't get everything it needs and also I don't feel comfortable doing it.
    what in particular bothers you about it? I think most women are a bit freaked out/put off at the idea of BF but once you're holding that gorgeous bubba, all those concerns fly out the window. end of the day it's your call but I'd at least go in open minded about it. you may change your mind once the baby is here. there's no need to definitively decide on anything yet anyway.

I think your milk does come in regardless of whether you BF or not, but it probably dries up really soon if there's no demand for it (your boobs produce more milk in response to baby sucking, so no sucking would probably make it disappear quite quickly).

as I said above, I have chosen to not feed in public. just because you BF, doesn't mean you have to do it anywhere and everywhere. I openly BF at home in front of dh but if we have guests over or go out, I go into another room or just bottle feed. I personally love the flexibility of both boob and bottle feeding, plus BF is a lovely opportunity to feel a sense of closeness with your bub
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 23-05-2016 at 16:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

Not sure about milk but if you don't BF you will not get milk.
    This is not true, my son was stillborn and I was given a medication called Dostinex to stop my milk coming in and the midwives also told me to avoid hot showers and any nipple stimulation.

It worked for me and my milk didn't come but that is not always the case. Some people still get milk and I would assume the presence of a live baby would increase it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    what in particular bothers you about it? I think most women are a bit freaked out/put off at the idea of BF but once you're holding that gorgeous bubba, all those concerns fly out the window. end of the day it's your call but I'd at least go in open minded about it. you may change your mind once the baby is here. there's no need to definitively decide on anything yet anyway.

I think your milk does come in regardless of whether you BF or not, but it probably dries up really soon if there's no demand for it (your boobs produce more milk in response to baby sucking, so no sucking would probably make it disappear quite quickly).

as I said above, I have chosen to not feed in public. just because you BF, doesn't mean you have to do it anywhere and everywhere. I openly BF at home in front of dh but if we have guests over or go out, I go into another room or just bottle feed. I personally love the flexibility of both boob and bottle feeding, plus BF is a lovely opportunity to feel a sense of closeness with your bub
    Ive been told a lot about BF but I can't bring myself to do it. Also, I want my partner to be close with bub too and want him to be able to feed our baby too.