+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I would like to open a family day care at home and need advice please.

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of opening up a family day care at home and i need advice where i start from someone who is doing the same thing at home.

I have 3 children all under 9 (two of them are at primary school) my house is set up with lots of toys/games/books etc plus I have a play area for the kids and a play pen for babies. I'm currently working two days a week as a nanny and the reason why I would like to open my own family day care is so I can spend time with my 11 month old and still work. I have completed a babysitting course and my childcare first aid course.

I am totally new to this and would like some guidance from mums who have gone through the process from start to end.

- do I need to have a certificate in early childhood?
    - do I need to register with a family day care scheme and if I do which is the best Family day care scheme to go with?
    - lastly, generally what do you guys charge the family?

any info will be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, i live in Winston Hills, Sydney. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I would like to open a family day care at home and need advice please.

You will need to have a minimum of cert 3 in children's services, Police check, working with children's card, first aid training including cpr, anaphylaxis and asthma, insurance and a safety check of your home. Have a look on the family day care Australia website, it will be able to find schemes in your area for you to get in contact with. Your local council may be able to help/point you in the right direction too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your reply. do i need to have completed the certificate or can i be studying for it at the same time as working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not 100% sure on that but I think you have to have cert 3 and can be studying diploma. Regulations have changed and I think it depends state to state. Family Day Care Australia will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you need to have a minimum of cert 3 + first aid (anaphalaxis one, not the general one) + a paid wwcc, its better to register with a scheme, generally out here carers charge around 8$ an hour per child,
    Youre limited on the amount of children and ages

its a 6 month course through tafe, Id find it easier to do it that way then work