+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I have a degree, because that was the minimum requirement as a professional youth worker in the UK, then I moved here where that isn't necessary. I think to get high quality roles though a diploma is expected, or a degree in something related.

The money is pretty good. I get around $33 an hour part time in QLD. More when I was in the ACT.

I would say your plan of a cert 3 then getting some experience would be a good one, then you can always do some more study and go for different roles when you know what type of youth work you'd like to do because it's so varied :-)
    Wow thats better money than I thought! I am also in QLD. I have a degree in teaching and was an early childhood teacher for 10 years but I can no longer do the small child thing my three are enough now lol. I also was sick and tired of bringing my work home with me. Do you bring your work home with you much in your role?
    Last edited by bubbasmum; 28-05-2016 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am wondering if there is something else I can do with my teaching qualification - if I indeed complete it. The thought of being a full time high school teacher isn't appealing at this time in my life. Later on maybe, I know it can take a long time to find the right job in the right school though.

Part time, flexible or school-type hours with school holidays off would be ideal. Not asking for much am I 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about your awesome job!

Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe relief teaching?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Maybe relief teaching?
    I did think if it. Problem with that is you have to have Childcare pre-arranged. You get calls the morning of, and if you don't have care that day you're stuffed. If you do have daycare, you risk not having any work that day and paying for childcare for nothing.

It would be easier if my DH didn't work away, but that's not about to change. We recently had a discussion where I told DH if he is going to continue in his industry (requiring travel) I can't do much with my career for at least 5-10 years. But I will still need to work sometimes for income, and I will need a career once the kids are older etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I did think if it. Problem with that is you have to have Childcare pre-arranged. You get calls the morning of, and if you don't have care that day you're stuffed. If you do have daycare, you risk not having any work that day and paying for childcare for nothing.

It would be easier if my DH didn't work away, but that's not about to change. We recently had a discussion where I told DH if he is going to continue in his industry (requiring travel) I can't do much with my career for at least 5-10 years. But I will still need to work sometimes for income, and I will need a career once the kids are older etc.
    Not sure about the Sunny Coast but here on the GC I found an occasional care centre that allows me to have my boys booked in every day and then I can cancel daycare on the day if I don't get a call, without having to pay. They're not common but I also found a long day care centre that opened at 6:30am and had vacancies most days and said they would be happy for me to call in the morning to check if they had a spot (after getting a call to do relief).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbasmum View Post
    Wow thats better money than I thought! I have a degree in teaching and was an early childhood teacher for 10 years but I can no longer do the small child thing my three are enough now lol. I also was sick and tired of bringing my work home with me. Do you bring your work home with you much in your role?
    No, not at all in my roles in Australia but I did in the UK. Emotionally I bring it home quite a lot though but that's the nature of the role. :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (29-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

Relief teaching is workable, depending on where you are. In the country (both WA and now here in Vic) I have found the daycares can accomodate "casual" days, at short notice (eg. You call them 2 minutes after you get the call from the school).

In the burbs, this wasn't possible but i had 2 days booked every week then registered with a big agency. They had an online system where they knew which days I was available and I could go in and change it if hubby was home. Being a big agency and living in a suburb with lots of schools/kids, I got work every day I was available for the 6 months that I did that.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Is social work really stressful? I'll need to retrain. I have psychology degrees but too late to become a psychologist. I'm thinking a masters in social work but not sure how to research job opportunities. Sorry don't want to derail thread, just wonder if you have to be quite a strong personality for social work. I'm into the ethos but not sure how great an advocate I'd be.
    Sorry I didn't see this reply sooner!
    I think each job can have levels of stress. I think in terms of social work, workload pressures, limited resources, never ending line of people needing assistance all can contribute to stress.
    It really depends on the area of social work you do. Personally I found child protection too much for me and tested my values too much at every turn.
    I didn't personally enjoy working in disability services. I found I didn't connect with the client group so that work became a passion.
    But housing and homelessness, it just fit.
    I think if you find an area of social work that suits your personality type, then it might be a great avenue for you.
    You can actually be TOO strong a personality for social work. If you come at it as though you'll "fix" people and you can sort their lives out, In my experience, you won't last long.
    Centrelink employs social workers
    Department of human services or DOCS, any number of community services and hospitals.
    A couple of the best social workers I've ever met worked from the local hospital's mental health department, with women experiencing post natal depression and anxiety. They were amazing.
    The pay tends to be rubbish unless you get a Government role. I'm in a rural setting though, so things may be different in metro areas.