+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm still studying (Social Work), but this job is where I'd ideally love to end up eventually:

http://careers.jobs.tas.gov.au/cw/en...ildren-519985#

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    Im a Teacher Aide and I love it! At present I am a permanent part-time, but on average get 1 extra day a week to cover another Aide who is away.
    I am studying at present, in order to progress to a Certificate IV, which will get me into Special Education, which is my ideal choice.
    I work school hours, have job security, get paid holidays, and work with some great teachers and kids!

Being a teacher would be too much for me. Teachers work soooo hard and have tremendous responsibity. Bless you teachers!
    Im thinking about looking into doing this. I have a childcare background, but couldnt go back to young kids.
    What did you have to study?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'm a postgrad research student and do a bit of casual tutoring. I love it. I hope to get a job in this field when I graduate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    Im a Teacher Aide and I love it! At present I am a permanent part-time, but on average get 1 extra day a week to cover another Aide who is away.
    I am studying at present, in order to progress to a Certificate IV, which will get me into Special Education, which is my ideal choice.
    I work school hours, have job security, get paid holidays, and work with some great teachers and kids!

Being a teacher would be too much for me. Teachers work soooo hard and have tremendous responsibity. Bless you teachers!
    Is the pay ok if you don't mind me asking? They often advertise teachers aide jobs to us pre-service teachers. I had thought this might be good in the meantime as I am not wanting to get into full time teaching any time soon...

A girl in my study group was hoping to do special ed too. It's not something I have given much thought to but maybe I should. It's so hard to know what I will enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I love my job but it's one that's not for everyone so don't think it'll help 😂

I'm a nurse, and have worked with kids for nearly 10 years now.

It's an amazing job if you love it, heaps of flexibility once you've been settled a while and I get great job satisfaction. If you don't like it it's hell and I know plenty of nurses who need to bite the bullet and admit it's not for them, but after 3+ years of study that's not easy to do.
    I have a lot of nurse friends. A lot. The shift work would kill me! But agree great for flexibility, and no shortage of jobs. The medical industry does appeal to me (maybe not nursing, but something medical/human biology based), but I think I would have to spend a good 8 years part time back at uni for such a huge change, and I can't be sure that I would actually like it. So hard to know, I wish I was a bit younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you like to teach have you considered doing a training qualification and doing corporate training? Something along those lines?

I did career counseling recently and they told me that a training certificate is highly regarded and opens up a lot of doors. Might be an option?

I just started a new job last week, after 2yrs out of the workforce. I'm similar to you, am very uninspired career-wise and since having kids I really wanted a change. But it was hard to decide and I eventually started looking at jobs in my original field again. The place I'm working for is great, they're a highly rated employer and there are loads of perks. It's 4 days a week and I think I'll enjoy it enough for a year or two, then I'll try to get something closer to home (currently commuting into the city).

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I work in community services in the areas of housing, homelessness and advocacy.
    Whilst my job is more strategic than practical now, I love being part of something so important. I believe in what we do and believe in the values of our organisation - that a home is a human right and fundamental to human dignity.
    This makes it easy to come to work every day.
    We have people at our org who have no quals but experience, basic quals (cert 4) and everything from there.
    Social work, psychology, counselling, case management, youth work, mental health, alcohol and other drugs. All relate and can be useful in this sector.
    Because it's a sector that has more women in the workforce, I've personally found flexible work arrangements are supported. As are part time arrangements.
    We have 100% of our staff who go on parental leave, return to their jobs after maternity leave which is fantastic.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-05-2016),KitiK  (23-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Is the pay ok if you don't mind me asking? They often advertise teachers aide jobs to us pre-service teachers. I had thought this might be good in the meantime as I am not wanting to get into full time teaching any time soon...

A girl in my study group was hoping to do special ed too. It's not something I have given much thought to but maybe I should. It's so hard to know what I will enjoy.
    In Qld T002 (first couple of years in the job) $28 ish an hour casual and $24 an hour ish for permanent.
    If I get called in for an extra shift over my regular hours they are paid at the casual rate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (23-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I work in community services in the areas of housing, homelessness and advocacy.
    Whilst my job is more strategic than practical now, I love being part of something so important. I believe in what we do and believe in the values of our organisation - that a home is a human right and fundamental to human dignity.
    This makes it easy to come to work every day.
    We have people at our org who have no quals but experience, basic quals (cert 4) and everything from there.
    Social work, psychology, counselling, case management, youth work, mental health, alcohol and other drugs. All relate and can be useful in this sector.
    Because it's a sector that has more women in the workforce, I've personally found flexible work arrangements are supported. As are part time arrangements.
    We have 100% of our staff who go on parental leave, return to their jobs after maternity leave which is fantastic.
    Is social work really stressful? I'll need to retrain. I have psychology degrees but too late to become a psychologist. I'm thinking a masters in social work but not sure how to research job opportunities. Sorry don't want to derail thread, just wonder if you have to be quite a strong personality for social work. I'm into the ethos but not sure how great an advocate I'd be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    If you like to teach have you considered doing a training qualification and doing corporate training? Something along those lines?

I did career counseling recently and they told me that a training certificate is highly regarded and opens up a lot of doors. Might be an option?

I just started a new job last week, after 2yrs out of the workforce. I'm similar to you, am very uninspired career-wise and since having kids I really wanted a change. But it was hard to decide and I eventually started looking at jobs in my original field again. The place I'm working for is great, they're a highly rated employer and there are loads of perks. It's 4 days a week and I think I'll enjoy it enough for a year or two, then I'll try to get something closer to home (currently commuting into the city).
    What kind of corporate training do you do?