+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    Me four! I am dreading going back to work.

Funny enough design is something I considered going into.
    me too! I actually finished my design degree before deciding it wasn't for me then went off and did commerce. and I'm still not convinced I'm doing what is right for me (whatever that may be!) lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my job...I'm a nurse and have been for 15+ years BUT there is not a chance in hell I will ever return to hospital nursing if I can help it. I work in private practice in Travel Medicine now and love it...The pay is crap, but I'd rather earn less, not do shift work and love my job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I LOVE my job. Love love love it. I'm a Uni lecturer. It's very flexible (no start/finish times and can work from home pretty much whenever I want) and very rewarding.
    But the downsides are that it is not secure (contract is up in February which I'm sure will be renewed but maximum 2 years again, have had this contract for 4 years now) the pay is very average given the responsibility, and the flexibility is balanced by the hours. When it's busy it's crazy nervous-breakdown busy and then there are quiet times to regroup. It was much worse before I went on Maternity leave as I was also the first year coordinator responsible for 300 first year students commencing the degree so lots of pastoral support, transition programs, workshops, orientation stuff. That was crazy. I'm only back part-time so I'm only teaching no admin at present and that is much easier but I miss that support role.
    I love teaching, I'm not sure if I would want to teach in a school but I love what I do. The lack of job security will likely see me resign at the end of my contract (please don't quote my post) and go back to my old government job which paid well, less responsibility/hours and security of permanency. Devastates me as I'd love to have my job for life 😔
    To get here I did my undergrad then honours and started with casual tutoring 12 years ago which I kept up while I worked full time in the field for 10 years and did postgrad study. Then when I was looking for a career change in 2012 they put me on contract up from casual. I've been so fortunate and so indebted to my team who have supported my career.
    I used to do this but found it a bit unreliable as I never knew if I would get any classes - or how many, often until just before the semester began. I did it before kids, was too hard to have that kind of unreliability with daycare etc. But I loved it too, that's what gave me the idea of getting into teaching.

We only have 1 local university too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    Me four! I am dreading going back to work.

Funny enough design is something I considered going into.
    Design was a great industry 20 years ago. Now with the Internet and ease of obtaining anything and everything cheaply and quickly online, I don't think designers are valued as much and people don't want to pay for originality. That and everyone with a Mac and some basic photoshop skills calls them self a designer. I can't be bothered competing with that anymore. I just don't think a majority of people or businesses appreciate good design and even less want to pay for it. This is a large part of why I don't want to go back into it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (23-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I love my job...I'm a nurse and have been for 15+ years BUT there is not a chance in hell I will ever return to hospital nursing if I can help it. I work in private practice in Travel Medicine now and love it...The pay is crap, but I'd rather earn less, not do shift work and love my job.
    I left my hospital job of 13 years and am doing agency in the community. I'll only go back to hospital as a last resort. I hate it. Like Community much more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my job, funnily enough I am a designer. So not that helpful to you. I do in-house design which I DEFINITELY prefer to studio work and freelancing is not for me, for the reasons you described. You are more likely to be working with quality clients these days though of course getting the work is another issue if you are in a studio. I am the sole designer across two extremely high selling international brands, in the equestrian industry (I am heavily involved in this industry anyway with my own competition horse) which is perfect for me!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alphaira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaira View Post
    I love my job, funnily enough I am a designer. So not that helpful to you. I do in-house design which I DEFINITELY prefer to studio work and freelancing is not for me, for the reasons you described. You are more likely to be working with quality clients these days though of course getting the work is another issue if you are in a studio. I am the sole designer across two extremely high selling international brands, in the equestrian industry (I am heavily involved in this industry anyway with my own competition horse) which is perfect for me!
    I get bored with in house - have been one of 2 designers in a large telecommunications company for a few years now. Have also worked in a property developer, that was more fun, lots of perks. I have lost the passion though, I used to get so excited about new design projects.

I think I am having an early mid life crisis, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Design was a great industry 20 years ago. Now with the Internet and ease of obtaining anything and everything cheaply and quickly online, I don't think designers are valued as much and people don't want to pay for originality. That and everyone with a Mac and some basic photoshop skills calls them self a designer. I can't be bothered competing with that anymore. I just don't think a majority of people or businesses appreciate good design and even less want to pay for it. This is a large part of why I don't want to go back into it.
    my dh would agree with all of the above!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im a Teacher Aide and I love it! At present I am a permanent part-time, but on average get 1 extra day a week to cover another Aide who is away.
    I am studying at present, in order to progress to a Certificate IV, which will get me into Special Education, which is my ideal choice.
    I work school hours, have job security, get paid holidays, and work with some great teachers and kids!

Being a teacher would be too much for me. Teachers work soooo hard and have tremendous responsibity. Bless you teachers!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post: