+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd totally do it. My eldest is 9yo and I'd have no qualms leaving her in your situation. I used to walk home from school (20min walk) and kick around the house until Mum got home from work when I was 10/11 years old. I was also often left home alone of an evening/night time from 8 years old when Mum worked evenings in a bistro.

But I admit to being a pretty relaxed, free-range type parent

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (24-05-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    My Daughter is 10 - and I probably would not for that long .... but totally depends on the situation.

the only one who can judge that is you really.

How far away from work do you live? Can you leave work if there is an issue? how often do you get held up at work and have to stay longer?

Its a hard call

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I wouldn't leave a 9yo at home alone. As a PP said- it's not about what they do when everything goes smoothly- it's about how they would cope if something out of the ordinary happens. Personally I don't believe a 9yo is capable of that level of thinking in an emergency.

I started leaving mine at home when the eldest was 12, youngest was 8. If the 12yo was not there, the 10 and 8yo were not allowed to be at home alone. Started off at about 1-2 hours.
    They also have been drilled on all kinds of situations imaginable and how to react to each one, and how to call 000 and the questions that they ask and how to answer them. We also have a 24hr servo next door so if there is a major emergency and they need help, they know they can go next door. Plus we live in a secure unit block with neighbours all around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my opinion 9 years old is way too young to be left alone for 2 and a half hours after school. If it was half an hour I'd say fine but not 2.5 hours. It doesn't take much for stuff to go wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchancesuprise View Post
    Curious to others opinions or what they do themselves.
    Do you ever leave your child or children home alone? Welcome to pm me if need be and u don't wish to post.
    I'm feeling very drawn.
    My son who is 9 begs for me to leave him at home. He's a very responsible boy,knows how to call and msg if he needs and knows not to answer the door the most I've left him home alone is an hour and a half and that was only meant to be a quick run to the shops. however he's now asked if I might allow him to be home alone after school. He currently come to my work place till I finish but this would be 2 1/2 hours alone.
    Opinions please.
    Please don't judge me for concidering it, it wouldn't cross my mind if I didn't think he could be alone
    Ds3 is 8 and I leave him at home sometimes if I duck to the shop, post office, daycare to pick up ds3 or such. On shool holidays if I haven't got time off I have left him at home for an hour while waiting for him to go to holiday care while I'm at work. I have gone to work then picked him up to drop him off. I will call him half hourly if he doesn't call me first. He won't answer til he hears my voice on the answer machine. He's responsible, watches tv or is on his ipad. He knows he isn't allowed in the pool. Our phone numbers are on the fridge and he knows how to use the phone to call dh or I. We have secure fencing. I wouldn't leave him for more than an hour and a half though and I wouldn't allow it if we lived in the city. We live in a small town where everywhere is only minutes away. Our house is a street from mine and dh's work.

You know your child op.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 23-05-2016 at 21:21.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to watch my little brother for hours when I was 9, and he was 6.5. But I also took a city bus to school (alone) at 7.

However, 26 years later, I'm not sure how I'd feel leaving DS at that age.

I think an hour or two is fine for a responsible 9 yo, but I can't speak from experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Ds3 is 8 and I leave him at home sometimes if I duck to the shop, post office, daycare to pick up ds3 or such. On shool holidays if I haven't got time off I have left him at home for an hour while waiting for him to go to holiday care while I'm at work. I have gone to work then picked him up to drop him off. I will call him half hourly if he doesn't call me first. He won't answer til he hears my voice on the answer machine. He's responsible, watches tv or is on his ipad. He knows he isn't allowed in the pool. Our phone numbers are on the fridge and he knows how to use the phone to call dh or I. We have secure fencing. I wouldn't leave him for more than an hour and a half though and I wouldn't allow it if we lived in the city. We live in a small town where everywhere is only minutes away. Our house is a street from mine and dh's work.

You know your child op.
    I always find it interesting when people say they wouldn't leave their kids alone if they lived in a city. City living is not necessarily dangerous. We live in a city and it's great...school zones are small so the parents at school are all your neighbours, which means your kids know someone every few houses if they end up in trouble. I grew up semi rural and had half the freedom my kids did because everything was far away and neighbours were spread out. We only had one neighbour that we barely knew, whereas my kids could stand out in the backyard and call for help and get the attention of 4 neighbours who they all know because the kids spend all their spare time together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have left kiddo once but because I don't drive, going down to the shops takes longer than normal. I trust him a lot though as he is very responsible for his age. He is almost 9. I wouldn't leave him at home alone while I was at work though because he would get scared and has told me that before so a few more years before I can do that.