+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depending on the maturity/trustworthiness of the child and safety of the area, then I think by 9-10 years they could be left at home alone for a couple of hours. I'm sure this wasn't uncommon when I was at school - are latch key kids still a thing?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all your answers so far.
    He just gets so board at work being here once his home works done on a Monday he's on his iPad which is why u think he's asked.
    After school care isn't an option as besides 1 daycare that's totally booked out that he can attend no one else offers it and any friends that have kids have them in after school activity so are already busy.
    All houses next to and across from us at the moment are empty apart from 1 and they aren't ever home those hours. He doesn't cook or use the microwave as he always has snack and such made in the fridge. But has given me a lot to think about. If I could afford it I would have him in an activity every afternoon but there would be no point in me working if I did 😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My nieces were left home after school from 6 th class ( 11?) they got the bus hone by 4pm and SIL got home at 6pm, they had mobiles so texted her when they got on and off the bus and called when they got home, she had snacks pre organised so they didn't cook/use any appliances and they were fine , I think like others have said it depends on the kid, DS will be fine to do the same when he's older whereas my other niece no way !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I wouldn't leave a 9 year old home for a couple of hours.

I don't leave my kids home alone until highschool.

In my mind it's the need to be capable of doing more than being okay when everything runs smoothly. They also need to be mature enough to cope with the what ifs.

Eg what if you are delayed getting home? What if you are delayed and are uncontactable? What if he got scared if it got dark? What if he heard a noise and got scared? What if he lost his key and couldn't get in the house? What if he saw someone walking through the yard to check the electricity meter box and he thought someone was trying to break in?

All of the above are real life examples of things that have spooked or happened to my kids. Then there are issues of loneliness, messing up the house and not starting homework.

If you do want to leave him, it would be a good idea to check that are no laws in your state regarding minimum age. People often quote age 12 but I don't know if it is an actual law or urban myth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would leave my child for up to an hour at that age, but for me, no longer. Leaving them home for a few hours after school, I would when they are 11-12 ish. I also think it depends on the child, where you live, if your neighbours would keep an ear out, etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have left 11 (almost 12) year old alone if she would prefer to stay home while we do shopping. We're never more than an hour, she knows what numbers to call in an energency, knows not to cook etc.. Neighhbours are friendly and it's a safe neighbourhood, she doesn't answer the door/phone unless she knows who it is.
    I was left home a lot from the same age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Occasionally my 9 year old stays with 11 year old too if she want, though she usually prefers the trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very much child and circumstance dependent. In my house at 9, it would be an hour and a half max, and I'd be close by and contactable. By 11/12 I'm ok with longer...my nearly 13yo will often spend the day home alone if her brothers have an all day sport event and she doesn't want to come. I'm also happy to leave the 13yo and 10yo home together for a few hrs if necessary. As far as I'm aware most states don't have a defined age for this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Age and maturity dependent I think.

In grade 4 (age 9) I used to catch the bus and walk home and I'd be home by myself until 5-5.30 most school afternoons. We lived on acreage and there weren't a lot of houses around. I did have a mobile and was always told to text mum when I got on the bus and when I got home. I don't ever remember being scared.
    My sister who was two years younger, went to after school care, which was so boring I begged my mum not to send me there. By the time I was 13, I was home in the afternoons with my 11 year old sister and 8 year old brother.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dependent on the kid but probably. The kids I nanny for (10 and 12) often ask to walk home from school alone, go to the park by themselves for an hour or more, walk to Coles (5 mins away) to get milk/bread etc. I'n sure they'd be fine by themselves (individually, not together, they fight like cats and dogs!) but they do live in an apartment