+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Leaving your child home alone

Curious to others opinions or what they do themselves.
    Do you ever leave your child or children home alone? Welcome to pm me if need be and u don't wish to post.
    I'm feeling very drawn.
    My son who is 9 begs for me to leave him at home. He's a very responsible boy,knows how to call and msg if he needs and knows not to answer the door the most I've left him home alone is an hour and a half and that was only meant to be a quick run to the shops. however he's now asked if I might allow him to be home alone after school. He currently come to my work place till I finish but this would be 2 1/2 hours alone.
    Opinions please.
    Please don't judge me for concidering it, it wouldn't cross my mind if I didn't think he could be alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I leave my 10 year old alone. No longer than one hour, she has a mobile phone. We have lots of rules about what she can and can't do. We also have 2 dogs who always stay with her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have neighbour's who are home at that time that he could get help from if need be? Without an adult in close proximity I'd be hesitant...only because of how long it is, and essentially he'd be going home to an empty house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this is a hard call to make as all children are so different. We don't really leave our children home alone but I would be comfortable for 9 yo DSS1 to be home alone for a couple of hours. The situation just doesn't arise in our house as DDS1 & DSS2 are usually together and it would be odd for us to need to go somewhere with DSS2 but not DSS1 and there is no way I'd leave 7 yo DSS2 at home without an adult (more of a reflection of his personality and maturity than age).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I wouldn't do it and my son is the same age. There are to many weirdo's in this world today. I'd rather pay for oshc fee's at school knowing he was supervised by an adult, he does his homework and fed a healthy snack. Imagine if he went to cook something and it caught on fire and burnt the house down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If there were familiar neighbours that they could go to for help or who could check in id consider it.

We live rural so despite DD1 being very responsible its not a safe option for us

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaving your child home alone

I think depending on the maturity of the child sometimes it may be appropriate for short periods of time. Such as ducking out to the shops etc...

But a 9 year old coming home to an empty house for 2.5 hours - no I wouldn't do it especially if I had other options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No.
    Not until 12+

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I wouldn't either, not for that length of time. Maybe...and that is a big maybe if it was a trip down the road to the shops.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there are so many things to consider, not just the age and maturity of the child. Where is the house,? are the neighbours close by? is there any risks/ temptations? like a swimming pool? Having had four children I cant remember what age the oldest one was when I might have left them home alone. I would think certainly by the time the oldest were in high school. It is not an easy question to answer. marie.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (23-05-2016),binnielici  (23-05-2016)