+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    It may pay to take her to see a paediatric dietician. I think you are in Brisbane? I used to take my DD to see one at The Mater. Although now we have the new children's hospital they may have moved.

Tips I have had from dieticians include:

Adding cream to food. eg mix cream with yoghurt, add cream and butter to mashed potato, add cream to soup etc.

Same for olive oil and butter.

Bake with double the amount of eggs. eg double egg pikelets and pancakes. Double egg muffins.

Lots of milk on cereal

Smother everything in nut butters.

Avocado

My DD wound up on polyjoule. It is a carbohydrate added to food for weight gain. No nutritrional value. Just extra calories.

FWIW what fixed my DD in the end was getting on top of constipation issues.
    Yea we have already seen a paediatric dietician at the children's hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Fatty foods

Bliss balls: I don't normally measure ingredients just chuck it all in the food processor!

Almond meal - 1 cup
    Coconut - 1/2 cup
    Cacao -1/3 cup
    Dates ( soak first) - 1/2 cup
    Orange zest - 1 Orange
    Chia seeds - tablespoon
    Coconut oil - tablespoon

If it's too wet add more almond meal, roll into balls and roll in more coconut
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 23-05-2016 at 14:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about something like a cheese and avocado croissant? Not very healthy though.
    Will she eat things out of a squeezie pouch? I've just bought some reusable ones as my DD is refusing the spoon. You can use them for smoothies too.
    I make these balls but replace the honey with a combo of oil and maple syrup
    http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/...-muesli-balls/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had success in "fattening up" my super-fusspants though not every option was "healthy".

Use full cream milk for cereal and stir through a bit of extra cream. Nutri grain has protein and sugar, so weight-gain calories.

Ski Divine vanilla yoghurt is full fat and full sugar. It tastes like soft serve icecream rather than yoghurt so could be worth a try if she doesn't like other yoghurts.

Cheese. DS likes pre- grated "light" cheese, which still has loads of fat.

He won't touch avocado.

He won't eat egg alone but likes zucchini slice which I chuck a bit of extra olive oil in.

Butter - loves butter and will eat it off a spoon. Ditto peanut butter.

I also cut down his fruit and switched to white bread as he was having frequent poos and I suspect not absorbing enough (on the whole we're a fairly "high fibre" household).

He likes plain pasta (and I mean plain! Not even butter or cream) and savoy/clix crackers which aren't healthy but they make me gain weight so figure same for him! Loves crisps and hot chips.

Thankfully he also likes peas and corn. These veg have vitamins but are also high in carbohydrates so can help.

Before he started eating meat (after 2-2.5yo) I would add a scoop of toddler formula into his nightly milk as well. I looked at sustagen etc but they were mostly fructose whereas the formula is more like a protein powder in composition. He wasn't sleeping through either so I was doing anything I could.

Sorry, like I said not really healthy but he just wouldn't eat much variety. He would eat raw cucumber and carrot plus a variety of fruit on top of all the 'empty' calories. I always considered it a short term way of eating and he's about to turn 3, he's slowly getting less fussy, is a fantastic weight/size and I've been able to cut out all the intentionally-high-calorie foods now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget to keep trying previously refused foods too OP, eat them in front of her and just keep offering and hopefully one day she will try it if she's sees it all the time and sees you enjoying it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    What about something like a cheese and avocado croissant? Not very healthy though.
    Will she eat things out of a squeezie pouch? I've just bought some reusable ones as my DD is refusing the spoon. You can use them for smoothies too.
    I make these balls but replace the honey with a combo of oil and maple syrup
    http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/...-muesli-balls/
    Pouches are a no go with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Don't forget to keep trying previously refused foods too OP, eat them in front of her and just keep offering and hopefully one day she will try it if she's sees it all the time and sees you enjoying it
    Yea I offer her dinner, she also can eat what I have too about an hour later.

She actually eats Nutri grain as a snack on the bus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Next time your at the supermarket try find a cereal from Freedom Foods called Maple Crunch , it's very similar looking to Nutri grain but for a cereal is far better , half the salt and sugar than Nutri grain, same calories but 3 times more fibre , DS has it dry at my mums, they used to have Nutri grain but I found this as a better alternative ( and it's Australian owned 😃)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Finally got her to have a smoothie!!

Used almond milk, cacao powder and a banana.

Lots of melt downs finding a sippy cup she could drink it with. Ended up emptying a pop top, teaching her it was yummy by drinking without the lid, then putting the lid on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Finally got her to have a smoothie!!

Used almond milk, cacao powder and a banana.

Lots of melt downs finding a sippy cup she could drink it with. Ended up emptying a pop top, teaching her it was yummy by drinking without the lid, then putting the lid on.
    Omg. The tantrums that occur when you try and find them the 'right' cup.

Good news with the smoothie