+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birthing Options

I have a perfect birth plan in mind but I have just found out I couldn't get into Birthing Centre at RBWH and I'm stumped for other options. I am so set on an active water birth but I haven't seen many public places that offer this service. I would also be interested in home birthing but apparently it's not very popular up here. I've only just moved to Brisbane, can anyone shed some light on their previous birthing experiences or where they might offer water immersion?
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    The mater have been doing water birth trials.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Couldn't get in as in they couldn't fit you in or were there medical reasons?

I do not believe any hospital offers this in Brisbane. Mater may or used to offer it.

So your choice may be to homebirth if you can find a midwife that does it.

There are private midwives that can look after you during pregnancy and birth on conjunction with a GP.

Also, if the reason of not getting in was missing a place then ask if there is a cancellation list as women do get moved to birth in the hospital due to medical reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    The mater have been doing water birth trials.
    Yes the Mater were doing them a year ago, I'm not sure if they still are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A bit off topic and maybe unwanted advice but births often don't go according to plan, by all means have a rough plan but try not to get too hung up on it as it may lead to disappointment.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-05-2016),Happymum2  (23-05-2016),twinklify  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birthing Options

Quote Originally Posted by LeeshaP View Post
    I have a perfect birth plan in mind but I have just found out I couldn't get into Birthing Centre at RBWH and I'm stumped for other options. I am so set on an active water birth but I haven't seen many public places that offer this service. I would also be interested in home birthing but apparently it's not very popular up here. I've only just moved to Brisbane, can anyone shed some light on their previous birthing experiences or where they might offer water immersion?
    Thanks everyone!
    Give My Midwives North Brisbane a call. They may have some options for you. They definitely do water births and have rights in a couple of different hospitals.

Eta, that's assuming you wanted to go to RBWH because you're on the north side. They also have an Ipswich branch if that's closer.
    Last edited by Once Upon a Time; 23-05-2016 at 13:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    A bit off topic and maybe unwanted advice but births often don't go according to plan, by all means have a rough plan but try not to get too hung up on it as it may lead to disappointment.
    Couldn't agree more! My midwife was so dead set on me having a birth plan but to me my birth plan was to get my baby out as safely as possible and I'm so glad I had that mindset because things didn't go to 'plan'. By all means have an idea of what you would like but don't get your heart set on it. Things happen that are sometimes out of our hands and nobody can predict it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do u want baby born under water or a good pool to labour in? There's bathes in labour rooms at sunnybank private but not many places like the final push under water as they can't monitor or intervene easily if needed. So it's a safety issue. Sunnybank have the big baths for during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your advice!
    I know it's not always a good thing to have a set birth plan but I atleast wanted a water birth to be an option. Doesn't seem that popular here though.
    RBWH has a ballot and your name is just randomly drawn, that's how you get in :/ I otherwise have a healthy pregnancy and I actually work in the nursery. Go figure...
    I'll have to explore my options more! Thanks for ideas 😊😊😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gold Coast offers water births & there is no catchment restriction (not sure what part of Brisbane you are in). Someone has already mentioned it but definitely check out private midwives (Google midwives first)