+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Baby/Toddler Gates

We are moving into a new house on Friday and for the first time we are faced with requiring gates for the stairs as the house is 2 story.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question but are they all much the same or are some considered a better product than their competitors? In this case could anyone recommend me a good gate or warn me of ones not to buy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in a 2-storey home and we've just put up the one gate we had when DS1 was a baby and we were living in a single storey, that was about 10 years ago. It's a Dreambaby Hallway Security Gate and it's at the top of the stairs. It's good but the only challenge was that we've had to install it about 10cm from the ground as we have railings and needed a flat surface to secure the mounting cups.

At the moment, we don't need the bottom secured. I'm happy with it so far, it's doing the job, but my advice is if you have railings and don't want to do this then take a trip to Bunnings or one of the baby stores and see what else is out there. Good luck
    Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a two storey as well and have gates at the bottom and top of the stairs. I'll be honest I'm not sure what the point is of only putting a gate at the top?

Anyway it is hard to give recommendations because it will depend on the width of your stairs, whether you have a banister on one or both sides (or none like our current home) and where they are placed.

The only thing I would say after having been through several in the last few years is that you get what you pay for! The cheap ones don't last.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    We have a two storey as well and have gates at the bottom and top of the stairs. I'll be honest I'm not sure what the point is of only putting a gate at the top?

Anyway it is hard to give recommendations because it will depend on the width of your stairs, whether you have a banister on one or both sides (or none like our current home) and where they are placed.

The only thing I would say after having been through several in the last few years is that you get what you pay for! The cheap ones don't last.
    We have a 2 storey but all living areas are upstairs, along with our bedroom and nursery. Therefore didn't need one at the bottom.

We have a slide out one, I'll take a pic soon. I like that when it's not in use it just stays wound up.

Bad thing is over a certain age they learn to go under. For DS1 that was close to 2 and didn't need the gate anymore. For DS2 he learnt off his brother about 17months, but at this stage we just made sure he was safe using the stairs. He had a couple of little tumbles at first but then fine. In saying that, he's the sort of kid who would've taken a chair over to the gate to climb over if he couldn't go under.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    We have a 2 storey but all living areas are upstairs, along with our bedroom and nursery. Therefore didn't need one at the bottom.

We have a slide out one, I'll take a pic soon. I like that when it's not in use it just stays wound up.

Bad thing is over a certain age they learn to go under. For DS1 that was close to 2 and didn't need the gate anymore. For DS2 he learnt off his brother about 17months, but at this stage we just made sure he was safe using the stairs. He had a couple of little tumbles at first but then fine. In saying that, he's the sort of kid who would've taken a chair over to the gate to climb over if he couldn't go under.
    This is me too. I breastfeed 99% of the time upstairs in the living area as it's next to the nursery, so I find it much easier to feed then put DS2 in his cot instead of doing it downstairs and having to walk upstairs to put him to bed. Plus he loves crawling around, exploring so having the gate upstairs is important to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see what you are saying but surely at some point in time your are going to be downstairs with your infant/toddler - if they head up the stairs it's just as dangerous to fall from the top step as 2 steps down iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see what you are saying but surely at some point in time your are going to be downstairs with your infant/toddler - if they head up the stairs it's just as dangerous to fall from the top step as 2 steps down iykwim.
    I was always carrying them. If we were in DS1's room we just shut the door. I'd do washing etc when they were asleep. But it's also tiles so they didn't want to crawl about and our house is set up with basically no need to hang around down there

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're absolutely right, we spend heaps of time downstairs also (kitchen, laundry, study, lounge) but how my downstairs is set up I can secure the bottom of the stairs so my son doesn't venture over there and start climbing up, eg, I push his portacot in the kitchen doorway so he can't escape! If this wasn't the case I would be definitely putting a gate there as well, but the current set up works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will probably come down to what will fit best in your space. I got two second hand extra tall First Years ones, and they've been good so far. They're pressure mounted. I recommend checking out Gumtree - just make sure they have all the bits.

ETA. I also bought these because they were black, and i thought they would look a bit nicer in the house.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 23-05-2016 at 11:36.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (23-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    We definitely need one at the top and bottom of the stairs and my DS is now 2 but I'm worried because he has not spent much time around stairs. It won't be waste as we have another on the way and can on sell if we move back into single storey house at a later stage.

I was thinking it would be a case of getting what you pay for....

Thanks for the replies.