+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unexplained infertility

Hi everyone, I'm 29 and DH is 30, we went to see a FS recently after almost 12 months ttc. I have regular 34-35 day cycles.
    Been diagnosed with unexplained infertility - all our results came back normal, except I have polycystic ovaries( not syndrome) which apparently was an incidental finding but not uncommon and quite benign.
    We did a month of ovulation tracking and bfn. Interestingly my urine OPK (clearblue) was predicting the oestrogen & LH surge a whole 4-6 days earlier than the actual surge as show on blood tests!
    This cycle they have recommended IUI with gonal-f prior and trigger.
    Has anyone had success with a similar situation? IUI does not have great success rates... FS thinks IF I have hostile cm this might bypass it. But that's a big IF I have it... It's also been a tricky situation at work, having to attend appointments, haven't said anything yet to them. I work in a male dominated medical profession and it's really hard to hide this.
    Just seems really unfair given the both of us are healthy... Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't do iui or ovulation tracking but at 29 and 2 years ttc me and dh were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We went straight for IVF, being young and having no obvious issues meant that it ended up working first time, we have a 2.5 year old from our first cycle and 8 frozen embryos. However we hopefully won't need them as I got pregnant naturally with my second baby after 2 months of coming off the pill.
    Although it's always the last thing you want to hear as you can't do much about it, I do believe that stress plays a massive part. There are so many occasions where people fall pregnant when they least expect it, have given up trying etc and in our case I think that there truly wasn't a real reason it wasn't happening, the ivf just helped things along rather than bypassing a problem and once we had relaxed a bit the second pregnancy came easier.
    Try not to get bogged down with the feelings of "why me?" It's easy to assume all those people around you who seem to be getting pregnant are doing so within the first few months and here you are a year down the line and nothing. Well I'm sure you can gather from being in this forum that for a huge amount of people that's not the case despite what it might look like from the outside and you are certainly not alone. The way I looked upon it was "there's nothing wrong with us so really we should just keep trying. But we are in a position to afford IVF and there might be a reason we don't know about so rather than waiting another year lets just do it now." I'm sure many people don't agree in this attitude and would feel that it's something that maybe should be reserved for people who have a proven medical need for it but now I have a gorgeous toddler who wouldn't be here without it. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pink86 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm 29 and DH is 30, we went to see a FS recently after almost 12 months ttc. I have regular 34-35 day cycles.
    Been diagnosed with unexplained infertility - all our results came back normal, except I have polycystic ovaries( not syndrome) which apparently was an incidental finding but not uncommon and quite benign.
    We did a month of ovulation tracking and bfn. Interestingly my urine OPK (clearblue) was predicting the oestrogen & LH surge a whole 4-6 days earlier than the actual surge as show on blood tests!
    This cycle they have recommended IUI with gonal-f prior and trigger.
    Has anyone had success with a similar situation? IUI does not have great success rates... FS thinks IF I have hostile cm this might bypass it. But that's a big IF I have it... It's also been a tricky situation at work, having to attend appointments, haven't said anything yet to them. I work in a male dominated medical profession and it's really hard to hide this.
    Just seems really unfair given the both of us are healthy... Sigh.
    I am seeing a FS next week for secondary infertility. I actually had 2 children easy enough and a third pregnancy I sadly lost at 10 weeks - followed by 16 months of nothing.

I track my cycle every month and even did 4 cycles of clomid but nothing.

I have also had the tests and nothing is showing up on either hubby or I.

Sorry not really any help but I wanted to let you know you are not alone... I am only 30 as well and after 3 easy conceptions didn't think infertility would be something I have struggled with....

I didn't know that about IUI's not being effective.... Hopefully my FS doesn't want to go with that ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for both your insights into this, it is a lonely journey. I asked my FS about going straight for IVF however she said it does have its risks and to try IUI first. I've made an appointment to see her at the end of this cycle in the even that it's not successful to request ivf for our next cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you've made the right decision. Give IUI a chance, you just never know. If unfortunately it hasn't worked then starting IVF sounds like the next logical step.

In relation to the tests you had done, were you tested for thyroid issues? The thyroid can affect fertility and I was undiagnosed for years despite having countless blood tests and seeing many FS's.

My heart goes out to you, TTCing for 12 months with no result can feel like a long time, I understand, as many of the ladies here do too. In regards to your work, if possible can you make appointments first thing? If you go through a fertility clinic some open at 7am and if it's not too far from your work it will have little impact on your job.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were diagnosed as "unexplained" too. We had a few problems, but nothing that should have really prevented us from getting pregnant for years. I have a thyroid issue, but it is treated.

We went for IVF. We found out what was wrong, and never would have known if we hadn't done IVF. In our first IVF cycle they were able to watch what the egg and sperm did and we found out we have binding issues - my egg and DH's sperm do not communicate. The sperm does not bind to or penetrate my egg at all. We were able to overcome that with ICSI and am now pregnant from our first IVF embryo transfer with two more embryos in the freezer.

We didn't bother doing IUI because I was already 36 and I didn't want to waste time on something that, if it didn't work, they wouldn't be able to tell me why. With IVF they were able to watch the whole process and learn what was going on, so that was a better option for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, yes I had my thyroid function tested multiple times. The clinic is pretty far from my workplace, been trying to get there early for uss (first in best dressed) most ladies get there by 615am! Been trying to get there around then too but still with the wait I usually run ten mins or so late. Plus for appointments in the day with the FS that's hard to schedule and I usually have to take the morning off.
    I travel a fair bit for work too which means the next cycle might be out to try ivf as I'm traveling for a fortnight in July. Sigh. Plus I'm studying for more exams which is added stress (not as much stress as last year though).
    I'm very thankful for such a supportive online community, at least I'm feeling less lonely! Thanks again ladies.
    Oh yes, anyone change their diet? I've been trying my best to watch my diet, this is the first cycle I've really cut out caffeine. I usually have one coffee a day but previously I used to have 2 cups per day. Anyone try anything particularly useful?
    I have a retroverted uterus too but apparently that does not have significant effects on fertility... Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a retroverted uterus too, shouldn't really have much of an impact on fertility.

Over the 2.5 years we were TTC we went through stages of eating no sugar, cutting out caffeine, cutting out alcohol etc etc. The studies on caffeine affecting fertility are talking about 5 or more cups a day. I only ever have one coffee. I don't believe any of it made the slightest amount of difference TBH. Once we started IVF I just ate and drank what I want (I don't mean I went on drinking binges, but if I wanted a glass of wine, I had a glass of wine). I've had an eating disorder in the past so, for me, not stressing about eating all the right things was much better for my stress levels!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! They've put me on 25iu of gonal-f, seems like a pretty small dose. I ovulate on my own so not sure it's doing much...
    For your IVF/ICSI, what was your experience like for egg retrieval & implanting the blastocyst?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you starting IVF pink? Or doing modified cycle and trying naturally? It is a very low dose but they will take it easy the first cycle or two to see how you respond. You may respond to that.. I have pcos and have been on 37.5IU of the gonal-f and I produce one / two follicles on that. Two this month 😊