+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The "I quit sugar" program - feedback

Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone has done the I quit sugar program. I'm looking for weight loss and reduction in symptoms / increased fertility from suspected PCOS (currently having tests to see if I do have it, but have long, irregular cycles, acne, facial hair, difficulty losing weight, etc.). My biggest challenges are cooking healthy meals that I can get on the table quickly on weeknights - I end up cooking the same things most weeks, and also snacking on chocolate or eating chocolate when I'm stressed. Also some of the recipes seem to be bread based which I don't eat as I'd rather fill up on protein, veggies and healthy fat sources. I'm wondering whether I'm better off buying one of the books and creating my own meal plan, or signing up for the program. I should add that I already cook everything from scratch, have a well equipped kitchen and enjoy cooking, so don't mind spending time in the kitchen on weekends to prep food. My husband and daughter eat what they're given (sounds forceful but it's not, they're not too fussy) so if I was on the program, I wouldn't have to cook separate meals for them.

What are your thoughts / feedback from those who have either done it or looked into it and decided not to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've done two rounds of the 8 week programs. I definitely felt better, less bloated and had more energy - I also lost weight. As with most things there were pros and cons.

Pros:
    Meals were planned
    Shopping list was included
    I enjoyed most meals (even some that I thought I wouldn't).
    I was never hungry
    hubby liked some meals (he's super fussy).
    You could swap the order of meals to suit work etc

Cons:
    I found some meals quite time consuming to prepare. Although the more you make them the quicker you get. Also, I think if I did more weekend prep it would have helped.
    I found some recipes had errors in them (whilst not the end of the world I it kind of annoyed me - maybe I was just grumpy due to no sugar).

I didn't find that there was too much bread - she recommends sourdough. Some breakfasts did have bread but you can definitely swap it out or search the website for a different breakfast option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing - I am also interested to hear opinions on this.
    I did lchf for a few months at the start of the year (before falling pregnant) I enjoyed so many things about that way of eating, but struggled with the quantity of fat. The 'I quit sugar' program seems like a good middle ground.

FWIW - a gf of mine had POCS and feel pregnant naturally after losing about 15kgs on lchf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @JR03 are you signing up for the program starting 9/6? Think I am going to go for it, will just double check with my ob on Friday that she has no objections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    @JR03 are you signing up for the program starting 9/6? Think I am going to go for it, will just double check with my ob on Friday that she has no objections.
    @PinkTutu I don't think so, I'm just going to go it alone for now! Good luck if you do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried 3 recipes from the website over the weekend in prep for signing up - completely underwhelmed, no not going to bother.b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    I tried 3 recipes from the website over the weekend in prep for signing up - completely underwhelmed, no not going to bother.b
    Oh that's good to know! I had a look at the recipe listing in the "I quit sugar" books and I was underwhelmed by them too. They were either meals that I already had a sugar free recipe for or meals which could be easily adapted. I think perhaps it's a program for people who don't want to, don't know how or don't have time to meal plan because it's right there in front of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

I bought 2 of the books and tried some recipes. Sadly I found them underwhelming too and some were out right disgusting! Having said that I think the philosophy behind it is great and I would be simple enough to find/come up with your own recipes that fit the bill

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done the 8 week program but I did buy the original book and to be honest if you are good with cooking, prep and have a variety of meals you could make I would just do that.

I think the book is around $35.00 and it has an '8 week program' outline in it. There is some recipes (I agree they were a bit underwhelming) but the 8 week program outlines what to include/exclude for each weeks. I honestly don't think you would need that much more (by your OP).

We loved it and felt great on it. I didn't need to lose weight I just wanted to break the sugar addiction. My hubby did loose a few kgs (not overweight just could have been a bit healthier). He is still going pretty well with it (not super duper strict but on a day to day basis doesn't eat sugar) but unfortunately I fell off the bandwagon when I fell pregnant (MS and cravings) but I do try and limit added sugar. Can't wait to get back into it after the pregnancy, newborn and sleep deprivation is over