+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age did you let your kids play outside alone?

So basically as the title says, what age were your little ones when they played outside alone? Did you still supervise through a window etc.?

My DS is 2.5 and I am starting to let him have free play outside by himself but I still keep a very close ear out for him/watch from the kitchen window etc. Our yard is also completely enclosed and we have very yappy dogs who will alert us to anyone even walking past lol

Is this ok? I know times have changed so much. I remember me and my brothers playing outside with no adults from a very young age and loving it!
    My son loves being outside, it's literally the only time he wont ask for a million things and Chuck tantrums etc.
    Give him a truck and a shovel and he's set!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well we only have a small-ish courtyard, but I let ds1 (6 yrs) and dd (2 yrs) play out there alone. It is child proofed and fenced so I don't see how it is any different to them playing in another room in the house. Our place isn't that big and my kids aren't exactly quiet so I can mostly hear them.

Oh, and I also let dd out there alone when ds1 is at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it's enclosed absolutely yes. My only worry with kids outside is getting access to a just road and if that's not a risk and he's playing safely go for it.

My kids have all played outside from that age with me watching at a distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our yard is flat and I consider safe so DS has been out there by himself since about 2ish but our family room and kitchen overlooks it so I can see him most of the time , he's actually out on our front lawn/driveway now washing his bike with his cousin and our dog but we live in a quiet cul de sac and he has great road sense and I can see them out the lounge room window while I'm watching tv!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids, 6yo, 4yo, 3yo and nearly 2yo play outside on their own every day. I poke my head out every now and then but it's basically my housework time.

We have a pretty decent size yard. No dogs but we do have ducks. But where we live makes all the difference I suppose. We live about 2kms out of a tiny country town. My whole street is filled with people from my husbands work (we live on the grounds on a private road) so we know every person and everyone here keeps an eye out for everyone's kids. So if my kids got out and I didn't know (My 4yo is autistic, an absconder and very cunning so it has happened..) they are brought back pretty quick or if they've gone to a neighbours, they just text me to say the kids are there. Like I do with theirs. My 2yo I keep closer watch on though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It's hard to be alone in our place but from around 2. My only worry is snakes. They scare the bejeebes out of me. Ds3 sat on a brown snake and it bit him on boy bits. Luckily it was a dry bite. Still very scary.

The back wall from kitchen and lounge is all large bay windows. So I can see the back yard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My whole yard is enclosed but the kids can freely walk from the back yard to the front.
    I have a 4 and a 2yr old and I'm not comfortable with them being out in the front yard by themselves as I cannot actually see them from the house. I can't see them in the backyard if I'm in the house either but somehow the front yard seems more risky....so, at the moment I make sure I'm outside when they are.

However, my biggest concern with letting them play outside by themselves is the chaos and mischief they would get up to. My 2yo is still happy to put rocks in her mouth and eat sand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 had free roam of a fully enclosed backyard when he was about 9 months old. I'd check on him every 5 minutes or so but didn't hover or watch him constantly. He got filthy and that was the worst of it.
    DS2 we had moved and the backyard was much bigger but again, fully enclosed. He was about 15 months old.

I am fairly easygoing when it comes to letting kids explore our backyard. We have lots of bushes and trees and places to hide and if I stand on the deck I can usually see or hear them and if I can't, I call out and they respond.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Since maybe 4. He knows not to go outside the front gate which is always open. He generally prefers me to be outside with him though but will go outside if I am sleeping at times instead of being cooped up inside for a few hours. He has things he enjoys doing down there like watering his garden and throwing the basketball.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is 3. For us it is a no due to the yard. And he can open all the gates on his own.

An enclosed yard - I would be fine.