+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    My first thought was no way.

I typed up a massive post about the biological and demographic consequences of gender imbalances in populations, strong gender bias for boys in Asia, the middle east and north Africa and a preference in Western society for girls.

However it occurred to me that a huge swing to females or males in a society could be a natural form of population control. That in itself is not a bad thing as the earth is overpopulated.

I do have concerns about couples accessing IVF for nonmedical reasons and the strain on an already overburdened medical system.

I'm now on the fence.
    My thoughts exactly. It's a very interesting debate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone for contributing and keeping it civil. The other thread got very angry very quickly so am glad this has stayed good.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (21-05-2016),binnielici  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Ngaiz  (23-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Thanks everyone for contributing and keeping it civil. The other thread got very angry very quickly so am glad this has stayed good.
    Has to stay civil when there's a lawyer running the show!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Has to stay civil when there's a lawyer running the show!
    Ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good point. However one group has the money to do it the 'right' way and the other one doesn't. It's easy to be moral when you have money.

Think I may have just argued against my previous posts.?.?.?.....!
    I was going to point some things out with earlier posts and realised I was defending 'the other side' therefore arguing against my initial thoughts and feelings.

Honestly, this is a topic that I have no idea what I think. For me personally I would not do it. But if someone else wants it then should we stop it? Is it a decision that hurts other people?

I just do not know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I was going to point some things out with earlier posts and realised I was defending 'the other side' therefore arguing against my initial thoughts and feelings.

Honestly, this is a topic that I have no idea what I think. For me personally I would not do it. But if someone else wants it then should we stop it? Is it a decision that hurts other people?

I just do not know.
    No it's probably not a decision that hurts anyone else except perhaps if it puts additional strain on IVF services. But even then I imagine it would be a small number.

Honestly I think gender preference is incredibly selfish as a parent. But so is having a large family (I have 4 kids so completely agree that having lots of kids is selfish when the world's resources are so depleted).

So many things we do as parents can be categorised as selfish. Who can say one is ok and another isn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point. However one group has the money to do it the 'right' way and the other one doesn't. It's easy to be moral when you have money.

Think I may have just argued against my previous posts.?.?.?.....!
    True but what's a good enough reason to have an abortion. Obviously it horrifies me at the thought of someone aborting due to gender but people abort healthy babies for all reasons. That's other thread though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in regards to this debate, it's probably likely gender selection for family balancing will be back on the table in Australia in the near distant future. It used to be allowed, and currently the US has pretty strong links with Australian clinics to do it over there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think in regards to this debate, it's probably likely gender selection for family balancing will be back on the table in Australia in the near distant future. It used to be allowed, and currently the US has pretty strong links with Australian clinics to do it over there.
    Do you think that family balancing argument can be made for those families that have generations born of the same gender ie. Males.

As an example could you argue that it is needed for your 1st child to be a female as there have been 5 generations of just males?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit uncertain myself...

Genuine question -

PP's have raised the issue of what will happen if an embryo is selected based on the parent's preconceived idea of that gender (eg. Having a girly girl to dress up), and the fallout if the child doesn't live up to those expectations. However, if that parent can't gender select and ends up with gender they didn't prefer, then won't the fallout be somewhat the same?