+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Haven't we already started 'messing with nature' when we allowed same sex couples and single women access to IVF? They wouldn't have been able to have children without this technology. I know it's not quite to the same level but essentially we've already started going against nature when IVF was conceived and developed.
    This is another way of looking at it. For me the difference in those situations is that those people want a child not a certain gender of a child.
    Just because we have the technology and the science doesn't mean we should use it. There are ethical and moral dilemmas around the use of certain technology I don't think we should just hand people over whatever they want. As a western society we have become very used to getting what we want, how we want it and when we want it but there are consequences to all of this. I think there are positives and negatives to all technology. The more advanced we become as a society the more careful we have to be with what we do and how we do it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016),GingerKat  (21-05-2016),gingermillie  (21-05-2016),Ngaiz  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not sure it will solve all the problems - People that abort due to gender (non-medical reasons) will find another way to screw people up down the track.
    What does this mean?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is the line when choosing physical features of out children when it becomes a trend in society as opposed to a few parents here and there?

Is Jane doe in Melbourne choosing to have a blonde haired blue eyed child ok? Yet if a whole society does it, is that then abhorrent?

Is it ok for an Australian mum choosing to have (after 3 girls) a boy ok? Yet if it became a trend in a country due to various factors (eg a one child policy) would that same decision be abhorrent?

If you allows individuals free reign in choosing physical features of their child, including sex, how do you safeguard against trends developing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I couldn't do it, unless for medical reasons.
    But why should I choose what another does with their body- and it IS their body until the child is viable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you allows individuals free reign in choosing physical features of their child, including sex, how do you safeguard against trends developing?
    I don't think you can. I think you just need to trust that anyone who can create a child via a quiet shag will save their money and do it that way, thereby the problem will be confined to those who can afford the privilege.

As for the general question. I don't like it. I don't think I could relate to anyone who chose to select a gender. However, I'm pro choice in pretty much everything, so I wouldn't want make it illegal.

Most of the articles I've read about this are by women who want a girl. I think that's my issue. They use words like 'devastation' when discussing their feelings about their healthy boy pregnancies. I read one around the time my little boy died and I wanted to reach through the page and shake the woman.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    What does this mean?
    If someone aborts a healthy baby for no reason other than the baby is the wrong gender... That not normal. A normal healthy happy nice person doesn't do that. Until whatever the underlying issue is is resolved that person will probably continue (post successful gender selection) to find themselves at the centre of things that either cause themselves or others (spouse, child of right gender, colleagues, family etc) to not be in a good place.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Ngaiz  (21-05-2016),Sally1981  (21-05-2016),Silver flute  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    They do indeed. There was a very highly publicised case in 2011 where a couple terminated perfectly healthy twins based on gender alone. I'd rather GS over that any day.

Eta-the twin boys were conceived via IVF too.
    How disgusting and completely f***ed up. People like this really need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People could technically do it now with the Verify blood test.
    Blood test at 10 weeks, results a week later and they could have an abortion if it is not the sex they want.

(Definitely not something I would ever do but we did get the verify test and knew that we were having a boy at 11 weeks.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    People could technically do it now with the Verify blood test.
    Blood test at 10 weeks, results a week later and they could have an abortion if it is not the sex they want.

(Definitely not something I would ever do but we did get the verify test and knew that we were having a boy at 11 weeks.)
    They could also go to the U.S. or other countries to choose the sex.

Though I don't think in this issue you can put people being able to choose the sex of an embryo to implant in the same basket of people aborting a healthy Pregnancy based on sex.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Though I don't think in this issue you can put people being able to choose the sex of an embryo to implant in the same basket of people aborting a healthy Pregnancy based on sex.
    Good point. However one group has the money to do it the 'right' way and the other one doesn't. It's easy to be moral when you have money.

Think I may have just argued against my previous posts.?.?.?.....!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-05-2016)